GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hi, i was thinking of buying a mk5 gti should I?

Heco94

Ready to race!
:readthethread:

Im thinking bout' buying the mk5 gti I really like the interior and its great all round' but theres a problem :mad0259: I want to mod my car but I have no clue on installing an intercooler is the a how to step by step sort of thing out there some one can send me a link to i'd really appreciate it :thumbsup:

and this is the intercooler its a s3 intercooler they say it should add 10 hp average...

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_V--2.0T/Engine/Intercooler/ES12149/

and is there an intake step by step i've never seen an intake install on a mk5 i've seen one in person on the 04 mustang but i bet its way diffrent

thanks a lot..

AdvanSuper

Banned
NO.

What's your price range? Look around at whatever other cars are in your price range I'm sure you can find something better.

Moses

Go Kart Champion
do you want a quick practical car that's expensive to modify and still slower than an STI after you drop 5 grand into it?

it is expensive to maintain a gti but it looks good. but it doesn't look that good unless you spend money lowering it and buying new wheels.

it will never out gun a good V8, take any of the Chevy LS motors for example.

but if you mod up to stage 2 you might have a snowball's chance in hell at crossing the line slightly behind an LS1 GTO. which is pretty cool for a 4 banger.

you don't know how to install an intake. so you probably want a car that is already fast when you buy it. this is not the case with a GTI. and modifications are very expensive unless you buy off ebay and if you're going to buy anything off ebay, DON'T BUY A GTI.

in conclusion, do you want an expensive, practical, good looking, moderatly quick car that will never really be a fast car?

if so, then buy a GTI.

Jtrem

Pro TeaBagger
Car(s)
'06 Gti
do you want a quick practical car that's expensive to modify and still slower than an STI after you drop 5 grand into it?

it is expensive to maintain a gti but it looks good. but it doesn't look that good unless you spend money lowering it and buying new wheels.

it will never out gun a good V8, take any of the Chevy LS motors for example.

but if you mod up to stage 2 you might have a snowball's chance in hell at crossing the line slightly behind an LS1 GTO. which is pretty cool for a 4 banger.

you don't know how to install an intake. so you probably want a car that is already fast when you buy it. this is not the case with a GTI. and modifications are very expensive unless you buy off ebay and if you're going to buy anything off ebay, DON'T BUY A GTI.

in conclusion, do you want an expensive, practical, good looking, moderatly quick car that will never really be a fast car?

if so, then buy a GTI.

I lol'd

Gti is a fun, safe, and pretty reliable car. I do all the maintenance myself and save a ton of money. Of course its not a fast car, but you'd be an idiot buying a FWD hopping to brake some speed record. My gti is reasonable on insurance, a lot cheaper then my truck. Not to mention a shit ton cheaper then a BMW or a STi. Its not that expensive to mod if you wait out deals. Ive gone great deals on used parts on the classifieds here and over on VWvortex. I used to own Mini Coopers and I think those are a real waste of money. Buy a Mini with basic options for 25k and add another 5k to get around the same speed as a stock Gti? lol No Thanks. I really think the Gti is a good car and a good bang for the buck car. Especially, if you get the '09 with the TSI. It doesnt have the same issues as the FSI. Best of Luck.

g2.0ti

Ready to race!
Yes, get a gti. Don't listen to those goons up there. It's a better all around car than pretty much all the cars on the streets. It's a lot of fun to drive, practical, lots of space, and can be a 13 second car for under 1 grand of mods. Trust me, I've test drove all the cars in its price range and NONE compare to the all around feel of my gti.

BossDuB27

Illuminati
Yes, get a gti. Don't listen to those goons up there. It's a better all around car than pretty much all the cars on the streets. It's a lot of fun to drive, practical, lots of space, and can be a 13 second car for under 1 grand of mods. Trust me, I've test drove all the cars in its price range and NONE compare to the all around feel of my gti.

Goons? LOL what makes you such a knowledgeable person? And please stop being such a VW fanboy by saying its better than pretty much all the cars on the streets. I understand this is your first car and you should be very thankful to your parents for buying you an awesome first car but it by no means is better than most cars on the road.

AdvanSuper

Banned
Oh the OP rode in an 09 that changes everything... If you honestly think that is fast I guess you like going slow.

When it comes to buying a USED GTI it is by no means a good bang for the buck when you consider all the other options that are in that price range. Even brand new it's really not a bang for the buck car.

Jtrem

Pro TeaBagger
Car(s)
'06 Gti
Oh the OP rode in an 09 that changes everything... If you honestly think that is fast I guess you like going slow.

When it comes to buying a USED GTI it is by no means a good bang for the buck when you consider all the other options that are in that price range. Even brand new it's really not a bang for the buck car.

Idk. I still find it to be a good bang for the buck commuter. What car would you suggest the OP get Benny? :biggrin:

BillyBob

is afraid of the dyno...
Car(s)
'12 4 door GTI
Idk. I still find it to be a good bang for the buck commuter. What car would you suggest the OP get Benny? :biggrin:

QFT, considering a new, loaded MKVI is like 31K...

Jtrem

Pro TeaBagger
Car(s)
'06 Gti
Im just saying. For the price its a perfect blend of storage, speed, and comfort. I commute with mine daily and I enjoy it. It has the Oomph to pass easily on the freeway and it gets pretty good MPG. Idk whats not to like. I think a lot of you guys bought the Gti thinking it was a FWD Racecar, instead of what it really is an economy hatch with some balls.

JohnnySasakiMGS

Scheisse!
Car(s)
06 GTI

I might be biased. But a 2010 Cobalt SS Turbocharged. Record setting handling, launch control and no lift shift, fade free front Brembo brakes and 260 hp. Over 300 hp with a tune downpipe and intake (around $1000).

Jtrem

Pro TeaBagger
Car(s)
'06 Gti
I might be biased. But a 2010 Cobalt SS Turbocharged. Record setting handling, launch control and no lift shift, fade free front Brembo brakes and 260 hp. Over 300 hp with a tune downpipe and intake (around $1000).

...Performance wise its great. But, Interior is shitty and the exterior design is horrible. Its Chevy's take on the Srt-4 Neon. Most of those cars attract younger drivers who drive like douche bags. I think the Gti has great interior styling and looks. Not to mention has more refinement. Nothing against the Cobalt or the Neon. Both can be done right and with a shit ton of power. My good friend has a Cobalt SS T/C and that thing is falling apart inside. Seat seam is ripping and the dash has a nice hairline in it. I've owned Chevy trucks and I dont trust their quality anymore.