GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hey, our brakes our ATES... and some advice please?

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
I had my wheels off yesterday (as one does) and was closely inspecting my front brake calipers... and hey-ho, what do I see under the VW symbol and Audi's rings? A little imprinted ATES logo!
So that guy who stuck a Brembo sticker on his brakes (I forget who, sorry!), you should take that off and put an ATES sticker on! :biggrin:

I should've taken a photo, but didn't have a camera on me... next time I take one of the front wheels off I'll be sure to grab it.

The rear calipers are some other company, TTI or something like that.

Now, as for the advice - I'm gonna need some new brake pads, front and rear, real soon. Any thoughts as to some good replacements? I do a lot of driving with a track day every few months, so something that'll last a while yet have decent stopping power will be nice. I'm tempted to go and get the ones that VW fit as standard since they work pretty well, but was just wondering if there's anything better than them around (presumably, there is, just not sure what). Any advice'd be appreciated.

johnny12345

Touring Car Champion
I think any pad will be an improvement over stock, has any one seen how the original pads taper up on each end so theres less contact with the disc. Can't really figure that one out but maybe theres a reason for it.

RedlineMotorworks

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2007 BMP GTI
johnny12345 said:
I think any pad will be an improvement over stock, has any one seen how the original pads taper up on each end so theres less contact with the disc. Can't really figure that one out but maybe theres a reason for it.

I don't know if this makes sense...but maybe if you only apply a little bit of brake pressure, you get a little bit of pad contact whereas with a lot of brake pressure, you get more pad surface area making contact with the rotors. Brake feel and pad wear I guess?

dwl137

Touring Car Champion
I had Hawk HPS on my old subaru and I loved them. They're fairly grippy but arent noisy or excessively bad at brake dust. I'll look into putting them on the GTI when the time comes, if they make em.

johnny12345

Touring Car Champion
That cool, I'm glad u like them. There was that thread where some race car driver did a comparison with the the GTI, Colbalt SS and the civic Si. They were saying that the GTI's brakes sucked compared to the rest and brake fade was a real issue, I myself have never had an issue with the brakes, I think there killer as well.

cmdrfire

Thanks for the advice, especially Scotaku... that's what I was looking to hear. I took my car around the 'Ring 4 times on a very very hot day (36C) and only started to notice a bit of fade towards the end of the fourth run. Otherwise they were phenomenal... since no one's pointed out any significant improvements, I'll just get the OEM ones again. Probably get them done at my next service...

cmdrfire

Scotaku said:
Son of a.... laser blue and trips to the 'Ring

It's official, cmdrfire. I hate you. :laugh:

:biggrin:

(I've bought the hires from the guy, waiting for it to appear in my inbox... this'll do for now)

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
Like I said, I've been amazed at the performance of the original TRW pads on and off track; and I am not driving slow. They could use a little more initial bite, but once they're hot they seem to be right in their element and there has been no real fade even on the hottest days. I can still carry them deep as the ocean and threshold brake right to the edge of the ABS. No lie. They're just that good.

You need to take your car back to the dealer. You recieved defective brakes. I think every article I've read said the brakes fade and suck after they heat up. Others have said all we need is DOT4/5 fluid and better pads. Hmmm, you've been on the track and they work. I don't get it. Sounds good to me!

feuerdog

Touring Car Newbie
Hawk pads, as soon as I need them.

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
Here's a nice set up. I have to say, I hear all this about non cross drilled rotors etc, but I just doubt the automotive manufacturers put them on their top performance cars for looks. The new Z06 Vette has massive calipers with crossdrilled (may be cast in) rotors that are vented. Seems like just about every Porsche I've seen is the same. These are on Greedspeed's site $1696 I believe.

Attachments

• brakekit.jpg
    brakekit.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 324

AJChenMPH

Lt. Commander, USPHS
Cross-drilled is great for the street (aids in cooling and giving water somewhere to go when it's wet out), but I can't remember when was the last time I saw them on a bonafide racecar (where you want the additional mass to act as a heat-sink).

If you never plan to autocross or go to track events, they're fine; but if you're a track junkie like Sco and I are (though, frankly, it's been a year since I've gone and I probably won't get to go for at least another year or two), solid rotors are the way to go. Just my $0.02.

Random question for Sco: are the front brakes set up the same way as the B5's (single piston, floating rotor, caliper held on with two 7mm hex nuts)?