GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hesitation and Replacing Valve Springs

redback

ftmfw
Hesitation
Ever since going GIAC extreme, when i give full throttle ill have this hesitation/vibration (sounds like de-de-de-de inside the cabin) before it finally sling shots. This is most apparent around 2000-3000rpms. When i have the windows down with a car next to me and it occurs, i hear the intake going "ppssh psshh ppshhh" then takes off. I'm thinking it could be because i am running stock G DV so i will be upgrading to the AWE one sometime this week. Anyone experience this or know what it could be?

Valve Springs

Basically i have a later k04 stock engine in my car and i have read the UK forums and they have found that many of the newer S3s, TTS's, Leo Cupras and MKV GTI's even have the common misfire in cylinder 3.

I get the misfire CEL when i push the car to redline which results in the CEL flashing or staying lit. Spark plugs have been replaced and coil pack has been checked and both ok. I further read on the UK forum that it could either be down to the the downpipe (since stock is very restrictive) or the valve springs.

Now i have already replaced my stock downpipe with a custom 3 inch downpipe with 200 cel and all was well for along time until the CEL appeared again on full throttle and on the dyno. So i am almost 100% convinced its the valve springs. From the info in the UK forum they say that if you have yellow/white springs that they are too soft and these cause the CELs whilst if you have the blue/yellow springs youre fine.

Theres no chance VW service will help since i have many mods and the CEL doesn't come during stock mode as well. So question is has anyone had experience on replacing these springs? How hard and long is the process? i will most likely have to go to my mechanic to get this done but all your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ryan Mills

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI, Tiguan
what you're describing for the sound sounds like compressor surge from the k04. It happens. I've had both DV on my TSI, and it does it with both. I've heard that the misfire can be caused by aftermarket intakes, something to do with the MAF placement. try running the stock intake, if you're not already doing so, and see if the problem persists.

Chris@RT

Banned
Unfortunately on the factory KO4 cars what you are describing at high rpms is going to occur unless they do the update. While the car is modified we have many customers who had their dealers install the updated parts no questions asked because it is a factory bulletin and it does occur on 100% stock cars.

We have found like you saw recommended that a high flow downpipe usually helps but not always, if that isn't working for you than you need the updated valvetrain parts or tuning that is done to avoid this.

h0ckeyfreek20

Go Kart Champion
Hesitation
Ever since going GIAC extreme, when i give full throttle ill have this hesitation/vibration (sounds like de-de-de-de inside the cabin) before it finally sling shots. This is most apparent around 2000-3000rpms. When i have the windows down with a car next to me and it occurs, i hear the intake going "ppssh psshh ppshhh" then takes off. I'm thinking it could be because i am running stock G DV so i will be upgrading to the AWE one sometime this week. Anyone experience this or know what it could be?

Valve Springs

Basically i have a later k04 stock engine in my car and i have read the UK forums and they have found that many of the newer S3s, TTS's, Leo Cupras and MKV GTI's even have the common misfire in cylinder 3.

I get the misfire CEL when i push the car to redline which results in the CEL flashing or staying lit. Spark plugs have been replaced and coil pack has been checked and both ok. I further read on the UK forum that it could either be down to the the downpipe (since stock is very restrictive) or the valve springs.

Now i have already replaced my stock downpipe with a custom 3 inch downpipe with 200 cel and all was well for along time until the CEL appeared again on full throttle and on the dyno. So i am almost 100% convinced its the valve springs. From the info in the UK forum they say that if you have yellow/white springs that they are too soft and these cause the CELs whilst if you have the blue/yellow springs youre fine.

Theres no chance VW service will help since i have many mods and the CEL doesn't come during stock mode as well. So question is has anyone had experience on replacing these springs? How hard and long is the process? i will most likely have to go to my mechanic to get this done but all your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Unfortunately on the factory KO4 cars what you are describing at high rpms is going to occur unless they do the update. While the car is modified we have many customers who had their dealers install the updated parts no questions asked because it is a factory bulletin and it does occur on 100% stock cars.

We have found like you saw recommended that a high flow downpipe usually helps but not always, if that isn't working for you than you need the updated valvetrain parts or tuning that is done to avoid this.

wow did not now this, thread delivers :thumbsup:

redback

ftmfw
thanks guys! talked with my mechanic and he's going to do some research as to what to do with my situation.

Anyone know what the hesitation is?

h0ckeyfreek20

Go Kart Champion