GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help with a logical Explanation

xXANCHORMONXx

Banned
Car(s)
2003 EVO GSR
Alright 2 months ago I was in an accident the left driver side was messed up including fender,hood, bumper, HID, radiator support. This was all repaired through insurance at a VW recommended body shop. Well About 2 weeks ago someone backed into me and messed up the bumper and grille. I decided to pay out of pocket and buy a brand new bumper. I got it painted by that body shop, installed it myself with a buddy and everything was fine till the other night. I went to a baseball game and I got a warning light low coolant shut off engine now. It looks like the intercooler was not bolted up and well back which cause the fan to cut into the coolant hose. My dealer told me to have the body shop fix it since they repaired it. The body shop guys says that its my fault that the intercooler did that. He said that when I swapped bumpers I unbolted the intercooler. Is this right? I've unbolted the bumper before and it looks like you need to unbolt alot to unbolt the intercooler. Right now my car is at the body shop and hes trying to charge me for the parts and probably labor. How can I explain that its impossible to completely unbolt the intercooler with just unbolting the bumper? He called me yesterday saying he found"broken" clips that hold the intercooler on the bottom of the lip, he said its obvious that when the guy backed into my car the clips broke, how could the be there if I replaced the bumper after????????????

Cliff notes:
Car accident
Body shop fixes car
Car gets backed into
I replace bumper
Intercooler cuts coolant hose
My fault because I accidently unbolted the bumper :rolleyes:
Body shop wants me to pay for it

Need help explaining that intercooler cannot be completely unbolted by just takeing off the bumper..

Thanks

IIIHobbs

The Old Man Down the Road
Car(s)
2007 GTI
It appears that you may have done just enough work yourself to permit ample finger pointing by all others involved.

Chris@RT

Banned
The intercooler has pegs on the bottom that fit into rubber grommets in the radiator support, the top has two pegs off the side that rubber bushings slide onto and then screws go through the front of the rad support holding those rubber bushings in place.

there is nothing taking the bumper off can really do to remove those screws as from what I recall on the GTIs (definitly the case on my A3) the bumper must be off to even get to those screws.

There are no clips that hold the intercooler to the bottom there are just two grommets in the rad support that the IC sits in.

If you did not remove the under tray when doing the bumper in theory they could stll be down there even having just replaced the bumper.

Sounds like they either didn't actually replace the rad support and just rigged it so the second accident undid their fix or it was never fully inserted correctly so the second accident caused the IC to pop out of place. Eitherway probably something from the first accident but goign to be really hard to prove now that it was in another accident. if your insurance company warranties the work done for repairs contact them and have them investigate don't go by what the guy who has to pay if its his fault is telling you without a second opinion.

whitepony5.0

My Car is Red :)
Car(s)
06 GTI
It appears that you may have done just enough work yourself to permit ample finger pointing by all others involved.

This ^

The intercooler has pegs on the bottom that fit into rubber grommets in the radiator support, the top has two pegs off the side that rubber bushings slide onto and then screws go through the front of the rad support holding those rubber bushings in place.

there is nothing taking the bumper off can really do to remove those screws as from what I recall on the GTIs (definitly the case on my A3) the bumper must be off to even get to those screws.

There are no clips that hold the intercooler to the bottom there are just two grommets in the rad support that the IC sits in.

If you did not remove the under tray when doing the bumper in theory they could stll be down there even having just replaced the bumper.

Sounds like they either didn't actually replace the rad support and just rigged it so the second accident undid their fix or it was never fully inserted correctly so the second accident caused the IC to pop out of place. Eitherway probably something from the first accident but goign to be really hard to prove now that it was in another accident. if your insurance company warranties the work done for repairs contact them and have them investigate don't go by what the guy who has to pay if its his fault is telling you without a second opinion.
and this^