GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help Replace Thermostat - Los Angeles Area?

SM08GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys. Stealership wants $600+ to put in a new thermostat. They confirmed it's that. I'm tired of clearing the 2181 code (cooling performance) light from my dash and don't want to burn up my 08 MKV.

I guess I could do it, just order the part from ECS, but have heard this particular repair sucks and is time consuming and better for someone else with more experience.

Anyone know someone trustworthy, who cares and loves VW's that can expertly do this on the cheap in Los Angeles?

Thanks!

Car(s)
Subaru
im planning on doing mine myself. where i live, there isnt anyone besides shops that look like theyre from a 3rd world country. could take it to a dealership but i no longer work at one and im not paying their prices either.

im not looking forward to it. best of luck man

U.G.MKV

Stealth mode
Car(s)
2007 mkv
The thermostat is a piece of cake, Get some triple squares, pull the alternator and your all set, It took me about an hour.

SM08GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Wow, cool thanks for the encouraging reply. Everywhere I read it was said to be labor intensive, time consuming... etc. This is the first I've heard of it being easy. Any other tips or maybe can point me to the source you used? Thx!

The thermostat is a piece of cake, Get some triple squares, pull the alternator and your all set, It took me about an hour.

U.G.MKV

Stealth mode
Car(s)
2007 mkv
It's pretty straight forward. Once you pull the alternator you can get to it. I think there is a video on youtube. But I think basic mechanical skill will get you through it. I will say I pulled of the lower radiator hose and drained some of the coolant into a clean bucket so I could reuse it. And that way when you pull the thermostat of you don't coolant everywhere.

Last edited:
Car(s)
Subaru

i was told i need to move the intake mani. good to know. might be the next thing i do then. im luckily sitting at 180-185F when its hot but when its cold im at 160-170F. so i can still put it off some

Brigand253

Ready to race!
i was told i need to move the intake mani. good to know. might be the next thing i do then. im luckily sitting at 180-185F when its hot but when its cold im at 160-170F. so i can still put it off some

You don't need to remove the intake manifold. You may want to remove the throttle body intake pipe.

Spectre

Ready to race!
Wow, cool thanks for the encouraging reply. Everywhere I read it was said to be labor intensive, time consuming... etc. This is the first I've heard of it being easy. Any other tips or maybe can point me to the source you used? Thx!
Don't be scared away by reading how hard stuff is to do. These engines are easy to work on. I read horror stories about doing the timing belt but I did it in about five hours and it wasn't shit. Just take your time. Prepare. Do your research beforehand. I tend to run through the procedures over and over in my mind the days leading up to major jobs so when I get to it, everything goes smoothly. Just make sure you have the right tools, be confident and have at it.

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
^ this. I read through a lot of DIYs before doing... Well anything I've done to my car, cause I've done everything myself. From suspension, entertainment system, turbo back exhaust, timing belt, turbo swap, intercooler.... All the DIYs I read said these jobs were stupid hard or took a ridiculous amount of time.. I think the TBE one said it takes 6-8 hours! I had it done, by myself, in 2. And I'm not super mechanically inclined or anything.

Brigand253

Ready to race!
Don't be scared away by reading how hard stuff is to do. These engines are easy to work on. I read horror stories about doing the timing belt but I did it in about five hours and it wasn't shit. Just take your time. Prepare. Do your research beforehand. I tend to run through the procedures over and over in my mind the days leading up to major jobs so when I get to it, everything goes smoothly. Just make sure you have the right tools, be confident and have at it.

Your post made me laugh, it wasn't shit haha. And really, I have to agree with you. It's a toothed belt. Take your time and you really can't be a tooth off.