GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help me understand Insurance

RevoGLI

i <3 canada land
Car(s)
2006 GLI
Recently, my car was backed into during the night. I assume somebody was making a three-point turn and collided with my quarter panel. There was no note.

Their bumper hit the spot where my left front bumper meets the quarter panel. The bumper has some gash marks along the sidemarker and the quarter panel buckled under force. There is chipped paint and exposed metal. It is perfectly drivable save for some plastic grinding noise when I go full lock to the right. I assume the fender liner has something to do with this because it doesn't sound like rubbing.

Anyways, I went to the local pd and got a report filled. My deductible is $500 IIRC. Mercury Insurance.

So, my question is how do you guys get OEM euro bumpers after an accident? I see a lot of threads where people get rear ended and a few weeks later leave the shop with an full R rear, but nobody I talk to can explain it.

How do I get a shop to throw on a euro front? Do I bring one in? How does insurance allow people to do things like a full rear swap? Never has anyone explained this process to me, I just see threads with new bumpers all the time.

I really want a euro front ($200 for the unpainted assembly), and I want my OEM grill back from the last accident (replica doesn't fit right). I want new things like you guys get!

FaLLeNAn9eL

JESUS HATES FLAT TIRE
What I did was talked to my shop about it.

They bill the insurance agency for the repair, I provide the part I want installed and they pay me the cost of the part that was supposed to be placed.

When I got rear ended, the shop quoted the other guy for $125 for a new rear valance. I told them I wanted the R32 valance. So I bought the R32 valance and brought it for them to install. They charged me for paint and gave me the $125 they would've spent to buy the new valance.

RevoGLI

i <3 canada land
Car(s)
2006 GLI
Should I get an estimate or should an adjuster come look at it?

The only time I've dealt with insurance was from a total, not a minor accident. I have no idea where to start and I feel like once insurance finds out, my rates will skyrocket.

Datalore

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
Your rates shouldn't jump as this is considered "vandalism" and is covered under your comprehensive insurance. MOST of the time, rates don't go up for small comprehensive claims.

Call you insurance company, file a claim if the damage will be higher than your deductible and order the R32 rear yourself.

Insurance will give you $XXX to repair your car and you can do whatever you please with it as far as repairs go.

karls.gti

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
09 GTi
Insurance will give you $XXX to repair your car and you can do whatever you please with it as far as repairs go.

^^This, I've done it a couple times. The insurance adjuster will write up an estimate of what all is damaged and the cost for each item then (typically) they'll give you the option of having it fixed right there at the shop or they'll cut you a check and you can get it fixed anywhere you'd like.

Some idiot sideswiped me in my other vehicle and I had the shop paint the vehicle but I kept the extra money for aftermarket bumpers and rails instead of having them order OEM spec bumpers.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

My car was hit twice in 3 days. $5500+ in damage. one of them was a hit-n-run while i was away from the car.

Both insurance companies (mine and the 1st one to hit me) sent out their own people to assess the damages and determine how much was which accident (both were on the rear, there was some overlap).

Both of them mailed me a check.

I gave both checks to the body shop, along with a new votex replica front lip to replace the one i broke my own dumb self.

They painted and installed the front lip for free because they (a) made a shitton of money on my car, and (b) fucked up a few things that took 2 weeks to put right, so i was driving a fucking hyundai rental for 3 weeks.

Sadly, they did not bother to *prime the votex replica lip. which i have since broken anyway.

I'm running the broken lip (bottom part cut off) for the winter and will paint my own replacement in the spring. Just so that i know that it has been properly cleaned, sanded, and primed.

RevoGLI

i <3 canada land
Car(s)
2006 GLI
I have a jetta btw :lol: I'm not 25 so idk if a rental car will be given to me if my shop takes it in.

I'll call my peeps and have them send an adjuster then. I've been shopping around and I already know the bits I need. I've removed my front bumper before and it's not bad at all.

If they cut me a check, can I buy and bring the bits to a shop and have them painted so I can pick them up and install them myself back home?

karls.gti

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
09 GTi
Yes you can, once they give you the check then you're in charge of the repair process and how you want each item done.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Nitrorea

Ready to race!
I think other's hit the nail on the head but under normal circumstances your insurance company will send out an adjuster to write up an estimate. From there they will cut you a check and you are free to make the repairs yourself.

I've also seen them ask you to take it to a repair shop where the repair shop will do the estimate and work directly with your insurance. So the insurance company will pay the shop directly. You can try to get them to estimate based on the new parts you want rather than what is needed to put the car back to stock. Most of the time the shop will overestimate the repairs so everyone comes out ahead a little or frees up some money to add the new stuff you want.

Good luck!

RevoGLI

i <3 canada land
Car(s)
2006 GLI
thanks guys. shiet makes sense now. the only thing is I'm not back home in the bay where my mirco-insurance company is based, so an adjuster won't be able to see it until I'm home.

mrbikle

Go Kart Champion
This is not vandalism.... this is an uninsured motorist claim. Depending on your state this will either fall under your collision deductible or the Um deductible for unknown claimant driver. THIS IS NOT COMPREHENSIVE.

The easiest way to do a conversion is to have the insurance adjuster inspect the veh. They will determine what parts need to be replaced at that time, and which parts can be refurbished to 'like new.' If the bumper or whatever is determined to need replacement, then you have the option of using the money it would have cost for an OEM part (say $300) and put it towards something like an r32 bumper. If there is a cost difference, you obviously would be responsible that. Insurance companies DO NOT build 'padding' in to estimates. Estimates, from a shop or written by AEI's are spot checked to make sure of this.

Order said part, take to shop, have the rest of the work completed. If you explain your game plan with the shop from the get-go, normally they can assist.

edit: regardless of the coverage this falls under, it should be non-surcharge, which will not increase your rates. If you have specific questions, PM me.