GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HELP! Cannot get rid of P0299 code

MiWa

Car(s)
2006 GTI MK5
I own a 2006 MK5 GTI. Bought it a year ago and it ran fine. About 6 months ago I get the dreaded P0299 CEL. Replace the diverter valve. Same problem. Replaced the N75 Wastegate controller. Same problem. Replaced turbo with a remanufactured unit. Same issues. Finally took it to an indy shop and they stated the replacement turbo was bad. Had them install a new one. Problem came back after 2 days. I am at my wit's end on what to do. It also started throwing a P0420 error. Any ideas on what to check next would be appreciated.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
With a good turbo and N75...I would guess it is either leaking boost or it has a failed MAP sensor.

MiWa

Car(s)
2006 GTI MK5
With a good turbo and N75...I would guess it is either leaking boost or it has a failed MAP sensor.
Replaced the MAP sensor as well. Same issue. Having the system smoke tested for leaks and having them check the cam phaser. I read that this can also cause the issue if the alignment pin stretches/wears. Apparently, it can retard the timing which leads to a low boost reading.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Hopefully whoever does the smoke test takes into consideration the systems attached to the intake manifold to utilize manifold vacuum. They all have a check/'one-way' valve to contain manifold boost when present. But it shouldn't lose much boost should those valves fail, unless those systems themselves are leaking. Which, if they are, may have been caused by boost entering those systems. The PCV would be the one more likely to lose boost. The EVAP and brake booster...not as likely to do so. With it having the P0420 as well....I am leaning toward it having a leak somewhere in the air inlet. Which is also where boost is contained.

By "alignment pin"....are you talking about a pin on the end of the cam shafts? Even a cam position sensor, reporting badly, can cause this all.
Yes...timing may be the root of the issue. A peek at its cam timing data would be helpful.

MiWa

Car(s)
2006 GTI MK5
Hopefully whoever does the smoke test takes into consideration the systems attached to the intake manifold to utilize manifold vacuum. They all have a check/'one-way' valve to contain manifold boost when present. But it shouldn't lose much boost should those valves fail, unless those systems themselves are leaking. Which, if they are, may have been caused by boost entering those systems. The PCV would be the one more likely to lose boost. The EVAP and brake booster...not as likely to do so. With it having the P0420 as well....I am leaning toward it having a leak somewhere in the air inlet. Which is also where boost is contained.

By "alignment pin"....are you talking about a pin on the end of the cam shafts? Even a cam position sensor, reporting badly, can cause this all.
Yes...timing may be the root of the issue. A peek at its cam timing data would be helpful.
By "alignment pin" I am referring to the pin that aligns the phaser to the camshaft. Note that I also replaced the PCV about 3 months ago.

The shop is testing today, we'll see what they come back with.

MiWa

Car(s)
2006 GTI MK5

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Yes...it can be the cause if the current catalyst is heavily clogged. Catalyst clogging will cause a reduction in turbine velocity...and would likely to cause the engine to run badly as well.

When I de-catted my Techtonics DP...an angled O2 spacer didn't help 100% of the time. As the code would periodically appear. Folks with a 200 cell sport cat also say the O2 spacer is hit or miss...mostly "miss." A 400 cell cat would be best. I replaced my cat with this one by Eastern. It is the same that came on my Techtonics DP, but it is 2.5" and it is 400 cell so to not code.
https://www.amazon.com/Eastern-Industries-93166-Catalytic-Converter/dp/B00884WDAU

Last edited:

MiWa

Car(s)
2006 GTI MK5
So the new CAT made a 100% improvement in the car's performance, but the P0299 is still there. Cam phaser is next. let's see.