GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help! Blower motor failure

Weixb

Car(s)
2006 GTI
Hi all! Looking for some advice with my blower motor which has started acting up.

When starting my 2006 GTI, the cabin blower motor works normally, but after a minute or so, it seems like it loses all power. The amber ring showing fan speed no longer lights up, and the fan doesn’t respond. Turning the dial to the left shuts the system off completely. All other buttons and dials still work on that segment of the dash, but the fan doesn’t work at all. If I turn the car off and on again, the fan will again work for a minute before shutting off again.

Is there a fuse I should check out? Or has the resistor failed? Or is it time for a new blower unit? I am not experienced with these issues, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

JayzVW

Car(s)
2019 GTI
Hi all! Looking for some advice with my blower motor which has started acting up.

When starting my 2006 GTI, the cabin blower motor works normally, but after a minute or so, it seems like it loses all power. The amber ring showing fan speed no longer lights up, and the fan doesn’t respond. Turning the dial to the left shuts the system off completely. All other buttons and dials still work on that segment of the dash, but the fan doesn’t work at all. If I turn the car off and on again, the fan will again work for a minute before shutting off again.

Is there a fuse I should check out? Or has the resistor failed? Or is it time for a new blower unit? I am not experienced with these issues, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!
Hello, did you ever fix this issue? Based on your description and year of your GTI, it def sounds like a resistor. They're known to go. The blowers fail as well, but, normally, you'll hear them making noises as they start to fail. Resistors are cheap and easy to replace, as well.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion

Thanks!!
Get a scan tool on it that can look at the complete car, you have an intermittent issue so not fuse, if resistor they work or not they do not cycle with turning the key off and back on again.

Lokmaly

Car(s)
Rabbit
While maybe not directly applicable to OPs problem my experience with a failing resistor was not work or not. The blower motor would not function on the lower settings, but would on Max. I am to understand that because it is technically a "Thermal Fuse" this was related to the voltage and the bad resistor would not let lower voltage pass. Rather than spending $180 on a new unit I bought just the thermal fuse off ebay for couple bucks and cut the old one out, soldered new one in and has worked fine going on 5 years now.