GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help! All windows and door locks do NOT work. And MFD says drivers door is open.

Hakaveli

I was at work today and my car wouldn't start to go get lunch. Reason for dead battery unknown. Jump started just fine. Then noticed no windows are rolling up or down regardless of which buttons I try to use. I can NOT lock or unlock any doors using any buttons inside the car. Also, MFD shows my driver's door as being open constantly... Also, I now have an airbag fault. I also cannot pop my gas lid using the button inside the car. This all happened today... Can someone please give me some type of clue as to what is going on??

I will be taking the car to a buddys shop to use his VCDS to reset the airbag fault and do a scan tomorrow... Any suggestions on where to start and what to keep an eye out for?

PS - not sure if this is normal or not but when I use the key to try to lock ALL the doors manually it only locks the drivers side door

doc280

Ready to race!
I would first learn towards a bad battery, to be the cause of all these problems.

A bad door lock module can cause the MFD to report the door open, when the door is actually closed.

PS, have you selected the central lock feature?

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
I was at work today and my car wouldn't start to go get lunch. Reason for dead battery unknown. Jump started just fine. Then noticed no windows are rolling up or down regardless of which buttons I try to use. I can NOT lock or unlock any doors using any buttons inside the car. Also, MFD shows my driver's door as being open constantly... Also, I now have an airbag fault. I also cannot pop my gas lid using the button inside the car. This all happened today... Can someone please give me some type of clue as to what is going on??

I will be taking the car to a buddys shop to use his VCDS to reset the airbag fault and do a scan tomorrow... Any suggestions on where to start and what to keep an eye out for?

PS - not sure if this is normal or not but when I use the key to try to lock ALL the doors manually it only locks the drivers side door

Model & year of what you are working on. So most of these issues you have a coming from the drivers door?? Any change in the function if you open the door halfway or more?? Looks like a wiring & module issue.. Doing a complete Auto Scan will point you in right direction.

Hakaveli

I would first learn towards a bad battery, to be the cause of all these problems.

A bad door lock module can cause the MFD to report the door open, when the door is actually closed.

PS, have you selected the central lock feature?
I just googled Central Lock feature and I don't remember enabling it myself but I do know that the car did automatically lock itself after it reached five miles per hour or something like that
Model & year of what you are working on. So most of these issues you have a coming from the drivers door?? Any change in the function if you open the door halfway or more?? Looks like a wiring & module issue.. Doing a complete Auto Scan will point you in right direction.
2007 GTI

The issue is happening with all doors. I cannot roll any of the windows up or down no matter what button on any door. I cannot lock or unlock any doors either. Going to head to the shop now to get an auto scan done. Do you think this is all linked to one cause or do I have a couple of issues I need to get fixed?

Hakaveli

OK Just went to start my car and everything works now. So strange because i didn't do anything!

Last night I got home from work, parked my car, and disconnected the battery because i didn't want the foot well light to drain my battery dead overnight (Car thought the door was stuck open so i couldn't turn off foot well light)

This morning I re-connected my battery, started my car, and every thing works perfect again! So strange!

But I really think this is an intermittent problem that will come back. I say that because prior to this happening, I have been getting a finnicky response from my passenger door lock. Like there have been times in the past month or two when I will try to arm my alarm and hit the arm button BUT only three of four doors would lock. The passenger side door would not lock and i would not hear a honk sound to let me know that the alarm was armed. This would happen randomly for the past month or so. I'm starting to think this is all connected somehow but i don't know what is causing this all.

I still have the option of going to my buddy's shop to get a scan done but am not sure if i should wait until I experience any problems again or if i should just scan it now while i dont seem to be getting any problems?

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
If your buddy is doing it for free go in and get a scan and save info, clear any Dtc and rescan and see what come back. At a minimum it looks like your door lock module pass. side is going bad.

jkmboler

Ready to Mod!!!
Check the wiring between the door jam and the drivers door. Pop off the rubber boot, pull it back a couple of inches and inspect the wires, look for cracks in the insulation and breaks in the wires.

This can cause your symptoms and can come and go as the wires may touch or separate as the door is opened/closed.

It could also be a bad door lock module, I believe on some cars, the drivers window switches do not function when the door is open (and your car thinks the drivers door is open).