GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hello/Help

**bluebird**

just found this site. pretty nice so far!

i had my 07 MkV (black magic) for a few months. i want to beef it up a little, just a little though. i'd like to hear what intakes you guys suggest. i'm pretty much sold on the neuspeed exhaust. most likey only do those two things try to add 15-20 hp. chips kinda scare me... i need my warranty. i'm open to suggestions! Not dropping more then 3g's!

raced a acura rsx-type s and it was real close. they are real fast, he passed me, i passed him. then i chilled out when we got to thick traffic. idiot starts passing cars on the shoulder... that's when i let the tool bag go. i think the gti pissed him off. both stock i think the gti edges them out by a hair.

Dave1078

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI
Some programs are more conservative than others. But if you want to keep your warranty intact with no questions asked, it's best to just leave it stock.

geee elll eyeee

I <3 UPS
revo you can change your settings to run a conservative 91/93 program or a more aggressive one. I was skeptical about the chip at first, but you have to figure these chip companies (revo, apr, giac) have the reputation they do for a reason. they are reputable companies with reputable products. I had the tbe and intake with no engine tune im sure it still added a few hp/tq.. But after the tune everything complimented eachother so much nicer than before, and some real gains were had. At least take the trial run to get a flavour

**bluebird**

ok i've looked around a ton, i've found a place never me that i would trust to install my chip (if i get one)

how does this trio look?
- AEM Cold Air Induction System (2.0T)
- Revo Technik Stage 1 Software (1.8T & 2.0T)
- Neuspeed Stainless Steel Cat-Back Exhaust System for GTI MKV (2.0T)

now do i put the $1,700 on my credit card, or do i wait and hope i win money from one of my two pay fantasy football teams? :headbang:

anm vw

Ready to race!
Car(s)
11 G37X Coupe
First welcome, You will like it hear the guys are great. OK
I honestly would not spend the money a air intake. I would go REVO( love mine) and ITG drop in filter. This would cost you only $600. The exhaust inmo will not do much for our car. I have spoke to a very reputable tuner in the VW audi world( KTR) and they suggested on to replace the downpipe if I wanted to. The stock exhaust is pretty free flowing and would only be need to be change it you go bigger turbo.. The whole thing should cost you no more than $1100 and thats also STG 2 on REVO.

**bluebird**

so your saying the revo chip stage 1 & 2, ITG drop in filter and a down pipe would be only around $1100? That sounds great. I do like the current exhaust on the GTI. damn, see now you have me second guessing. I mean as you can tell I am completely new to any aftermarket performance products. Thanks for the help guys! and keep the suggestions coming. hell make fun of me and my indecision it's cool :iono:

JPGTI

Ready to race!
Welcome bluebird,

There are a bunch of helpful guys/girls on this board. My best advice is to search the web, the forums, and read as much as you can before you go out and spend money on modding your car. It is easy to get persuaded by others opinions when you hear how great certain mods are to them, but opinions are like a@@holes, everyone has one. With that said there are a lot of smart, well thought out, and proven OPINIONS on this board and over on VWVortex.com. Now on to your questions.

Chip - There are three main companies out there driving the VW/Audi/Porsche chip tuning research and development. Those are APR, GIAC, and REVO. There are multiple users on this forum and on the 'tex that have had at least one of these chips in their car.

To clarify briefly, a chip for our application is a new software loaded onto the stock ECU. No actual "chip" is piggybacked onto the ECU and the ECU is not replaced. So, physically, the ECU is the same - the software has just changed.

I am not chipped yet, but have definitely considered it. I would be going with APR because their HQ is only about 115 miles away from Atlanta, where I live. So, the folks that engineered the software would be doing the installation and I could speak directly with engineers if I have questions, etc.

They have a couple shops in your area that offer APR: http://www.goapr.com/VW/dealer/map.php?cntry=USA?362,120

A note about APR: They like doing things themselves. They offer exhausts, FMIC, turbo upgrades, etc. The other companies REVO and GIAC often partner with companies such as VF Engineering to collaboratively create staged modifications. Both business practices have their positives and negatives and all create top notch products.

Exhaust - like others have said the down pipe seems to be the limitation on our cars in terms of exhaust, so replacing this component only would save you some $. Some companies (no order): APR, Eurojet, GHL, Milltek, and AWE Tuning seem to be some of the most popular.

Intake (no order) - Evolution Motorsports (requires new engine cover or modification to OEM engine cover), Neuspeed, Carbonio, and drop-in with stock airbox are some popular intake solutions. FORGE recently came out with their intake. I've read good things so far.

SUGGESTION: Get a boost gauge as your first mod. This allows you to see how much boost your car is currently running. In the Cosmetic Mod sub-forum on golfmkv.com there is a group buy currently going on for the AWE boost gauge. It is mounted in the vent to the left of the driver and is perfectly matched to the GTi's interior lighting.

Hope this helps.

-JP

Turbo GTI

Autocross Newbie
yes that absolutely helps! looking at the APR down pipes now! do they match up exactly with the stock exhaust?

You say that you don't want to spend over 3g's but if you are doing the exhaust then you should get the full Turbo Back. After you get change the Down Pipe then the next thing holding you back is our suitcase muffler. Search in our classified forums and see if any of the Forum Sponsors are doing a special on the APR exhaust or maybe someone in your area is selling theirs you never know.

JPGTI

Ready to race!
you may have to use a fitting because the stock exhaust is 2.5" in diameter and the APR is 3.0" in diameter. If you buy the full turbo-back exhaust it is $1300, if you buy the down pipe it's $500 and the catback is $900, so separately you would spend about $100 more.

You should get the chip first and then worry about the exhaust. From what you have stated the chip may be your better option. Less actual work done to the car and you can set it back to stock when you go to the dealer.

anm vw

Ready to race!
Car(s)
11 G37X Coupe
You say that you don't want to spend over 3g's but if you are doing the exhaust then you should get the full Turbo Back. After you get change the Down Pipe then the next thing holding you back is our suitcase muffler. Search in our classified forums and see if any of the Forum Sponsors are doing a special on the APR exhaust or maybe someone in your area is selling theirs you never know.[/QUO

Have you seen dyno results of doing just catback. 900 bucks for 10whp:thumbdown: no thanx. 400 or less on a downpipe (ATP is 330 at performance drive) and get 25whp.:thumbup: The stock downpipe has a cat and a resonator on it the cat is huge and is right up agains the turbo.