GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

heated seats retrofit

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
man, you just really need another dealer.

if they knew how to use ODIS you wouldn't have gone through all this pain.

YES when they remove Component Protection they were supposed to match keyfobs.

YES the module replacement procedure is fully automated. parameterizarion, coding and adaptations would have reverted to stock and you'd need to re-apply just your changes, like tail lights.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
You're absolutely right... I'm generally calm with people that don't fully understand they systems they are using, I work with private aircraft pilots on a daily basis, haha. But I was beyond frustrated trying to get the dealer to understand that I just wanted them to complete the process, from beginning to end... trying to stay aware of the level of my voice. Less than an hour before "figuring it out" the tech tried to tell me that since the BCM can be used in other cars and it wasn't the part number that came in my car that the adaptations could only be changed manually. This despite the fact that I ordered the part from the dealer, based on what they pulled up for my VIN. I asked him what he would do if a customer came in with a failed BCM... stumped.

Another frustrating thing was they kept telling me that they could use VCDS to change coding/adaptations manually but would charge me the labor. I kept telling them that if I wanted to do coding/adaptations manually I wouldn't have paid them (already) and that I certainly don't want them coding anything manually after what they had done so far.

MattC

Car(s)
MK7 GTI
well, I say this thing got delayed quite a bit :)

I was able to final test the installation today, I just upgraded BCM and Gateway to HIGH.

I still have the mats outside the seats.

I plugged them in and they work.

Upholsterer is booked for 9/17.

The installation is 90% OEM.

I am beyond happy :)

Hi David,

Hoping you can give me some advice. Just bought and OEM leather interior with heated seats. I have the climate control switches from original car and will buy a Kufatec harness if need be. How hard is the process for wiring in the heated seats?

Thanks
Matt

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
well it depends how deep you are into retrofits.

if you've never done it before, just accessing the BCM connectors will be a pain in the ass.
actually just removing the engine hood release handle can be a bitch.

I also found the Kufatec wiring to be kind of short, behind stupid expensive.

if I were to do it again, I would buy the harness on Aliexpress or just build my own.

MattC

Car(s)
MK7 GTI
well it depends how deep you are into retrofits.

if you've never done it before, just accessing the BCM connectors will be a pain in the ass.
actually just removing the engine hood release handle can be a bitch.

I also found the Kufatec wiring to be kind of short, behind stupid expensive.

if I were to do it again, I would buy the harness on Aliexpress or just build my own.
Thanks for getting back to me. I am ok when it comes to pulling things apart and fixing. I have put the interior in and just picked up the climate control buttons. I did see the harness to Aliexpress. Is that one ok? Just want to know if it is something I should attempt and what programming is required.

Appreciate your help!

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32960...er_id=3f10fa8067424890ac538e14acb27035&is_c=Y

that's the wiring loom, which will be much easier to install if you take out the front seats.

the climate panel is a straight swap, just copy the coding/admap from the old one.

BCM needs to be coded.

I assume you have VCDS. I guess OBD11 can do it but I don't own the toy so I don't know.

oh... and you need a MID+ or HIGH BCM for heated seats, a LOW or a MID won't work.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Hi David,

Hoping you can give me some advice. Just bought and OEM leather interior with heated seats. I have the climate control switches from original car and will buy a Kufatec harness if need be. How hard is the process for wiring in the heated seats?

Thanks
Matt

I did this retrofit and I concur with what david and cuzoe both said... it's very doable if you're patient and aren't afraid taking yourself outside your comfort zone (pardon the pun). You need to be comfortable opening up multi-pin connectors and inserting new pins, which you will need to do at the BCM. What really helps is having the pinout maps for the BCM connectors.

And as david mentioned, you need to have a programming tool like VCDS or OBDeleven to code the BCM to recognize the heated seats.

MattC

Car(s)
MK7 GTI
let's not forget the M+/H BCM... which if you don't have requires a trip to the dealer for the swap.
Thanks Guys. Appreciate your help....

I have VCDS and Rosstech cable so I guess my first issue is to check whether my BCM is compatible or not.

Would any of you have the pinout maps for the BCM and also I have a RHD car which would mean the BCM is on the RHD side I guess?

Thanks

Matt

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
AJ is a HIGH so it supports heated seats. make sure you have a AJ by checking with VCDS since you have it.

wiring diagrams and pinouts you can print-to-PDF after buying one hour access to ERWIN.

LHD/RHD does not matter, BCM is always on the side of the cabin fusebox, so for you is behind the glovebox.

MattC

Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Thats great news. Does the Ali express wiring kit come with a wiring diagram.like the kufatec does I wonder?

Yes I just connected to VCDS definitely AJ and I can see heated seat info with no values ofcourse.

Looking good I think I am going to be able to do this but my only concern is being able to pul apart the BCM plugs and add the new pins 🙄.

Thanks for your help👍

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
don't know if you'll get wiring instructions but it's just a few wires, I can eventually give you the pinout.

look around the various Golf forums, there are plenty retrofits which require access to the BCM. some people posted pictures.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Thats great news. Does the Ali express wiring kit come with a wiring diagram.like the kufatec does I wonder?

Yes I just connected to VCDS definitely AJ and I can see heated seat info with no values ofcourse.

Looking good I think I am going to be able to do this but my only concern is being able to pul apart the BCM plugs and add the new pins 🙄.

Thanks for your help👍
I made illustrated pinouts for retrofitting my heated seats:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OerX1hnkSgAA9M7up-n40zLQ4DCdqjN4/view?usp=sharing

Note that the BCM-side pin assignments are the same for Aus but the seat side pin assignments (noted as connector T17) I show are for US cars only. In your case you won't need seat-side pinouts, since the harness kit is plug and play for rest of the world. The harness kit is not plug and play on US models.