GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

heard GTI noise for first time

newtogolf

FIA World Rally Car Champion
although the GTI has been around in this country since 04, a few days ago i saw someone giving it the beans and it does make a wicked sound.

i get the impression that most of the people who have a GTI couldnt give a fuck about the performance. most of them i see being driven by young mothers taking their kids to school and they wont go over 2000 rpms. i mean why did they bother buying a GTI if they arent gonna have any fun with it. may as well have just bought a normal golf.

so yeah, other than that, wonderful sound.

Quigaboo

Ready to race!
Pretty bold statement from a person who owns a GOLF..... I am puchasing my 3rd GTI strictly based on he perfomance of the vehicle and not the "sound" of it...

Of course the turbo and exhuast make it sound great, but stepping on the gas sells the car....

Maybe in the U.K. mothers buy that car, but here in the U.S., they are predominately driven by enthusiasts who buy and drive the car for what it was designed to be..... Fast and agile!

Try driving one and compare it to a golf and then let e know what you think!

Cheers

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Y'know, he's got a point. I do see a lot of GTIs/R32s being driven by older women who, I suspect, just see it as a very nice Golf... which is a damn shame. I saw an R32 on the motorway a couple of months ago, driven by a pretty blonde girl... didn't want to play though, she keep pootling along at 65mph. I feel bad for cars that go to homes like that, that aren't driven like they're meant to be driven...
And yeah, the GTI has a great engine note. It's got a pleasant whine to it on the downrev which reminds me of a mini-supercar engine (I drove a 94 Ferrari Mondial T some time ago, and the noise the GTI makes - whilst obviously not being a screaming V8 - has similarities :) )
newtogolf, where in london/when was it? I've been in london quite a lot these past few weeks :p

Quigaboo

Ready to race!
That my be the case in the UK, but here in New York by me, mothers are typically driving a volvo or lexus.... The only GTI's I have seen lately are definately driven by entusiasts.. (noticeable by the modications!)

lmunz22

Ready to race!
I went for my first ride in one yesterday and it was amazing. From the inside, the engine noise is awesome. With the windows down and something to the side of you, the sound of the turbo spooling up is even more awesome!

Drake87

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 UG GTI
I live near nyc also and i see a lot of moms driving the car. there is also a a lot of people who have it for performance it is probally about 50/50

mach5

you are next
Nobody has one around here except me. :biggrin:

Or I just never see them at all.

Back on topic, yeah, the note is pretty cool. Everyone who rides with me comments on it.

Mango

Gym Rat
Car(s)
07' GTI, 07' SRT8
If they are hot moms...then WHO CARES?!?!

RedBull_81

I wanna SILVER one!!!
up where I live there is only 3 GTI's on the road to my knowledge, and I know that atleast one of the is driven by an older woman. dissapoints me to see such a great car that will never know "spirited" driving or the term "track day":cry: .