GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

headliner replacement

dmsquattro

Ready to race!
At 110K miles, my headliner just s### the bed. Does anyone know either:
1. A reputable upholstery shop in or around Westchester NY; or
2. A place to pick up a used headliner - I've looked in the forums and on ebay and there is nada.

Thanks much.

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
I got a good price on a new OEM headliner at Linden VW. Best price I found to have the old one rewrapped was 250$ at Everlast Interiors, also in Linden. That was if you brought them the board already uninstalled.

vath

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
weird.... my 2009 is also at 110k miles and the headliner just started breaking away. I'm just starting to look into this now.

vath

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
called a local shop in Allentown PA and they asked if I had a sunroof, I said yes, then they stated the Front Windshield has to be removed to replace the headliner ($350+glass removal/install via outside service). I wasn't expecting that, but if i just bring them the headliner board, it would be $150 to reupholster .

edit: maybe the shop thought i said i had JETTA... which would require windshield removal :rolleyes:

Last edited:

vath

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
i removed and stripped.. local shop reupholstered... i'm happy :biggrin:

Attachments

• headliner.jpg
    headliner.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 3,147

dmsquattro

Ready to race!
I thought about doing that, but I just don't have the bandwidth to remove it myself. At this point, it's a time value of money thing. I either get a shop to do the whole thing or it gets an ugly band-aid.

Datalore

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
It sucks to shell out the money, but having a shop fix it will make you happier in the long run. Makes the car still feel new. Just my $.02...

DeepBlue

Ready to race!
Did mine last year at local shop in Brooklyn. Cost was about $250 for an aftermarket one. Decent job for the price... a few small "imperfections" here and there. Nothing I can't live with especially in this price range.

LisaD

Car(s)
'08 GTI
I realize this is an older thread. But if anyone is still following, hoping for some help. I have a 2008 GTI 4 door, grey. The headliner fell down last summer, now door cloth is going.

1) what do you use to strip off the foamy yellow adhesive stuff?

2) where do I get the tool to remove clips holding hardware (like visors)? Or can you reallyuse two screwdrivers? This part scares me.

3) has anyone just taken headliner (and door cloth) down to bare plastic and called it good? My car has over 205k miles, and I've rescued dogs in it, meaning it got a little torn/chewed up. I am willing to put $$ into keeping it running, but not too much into aesthetics with such a high mileage car that's been like a truck to me.

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
A stiff wire brush will knock off most of the adhesive foam. The most of the screws are torx, other than that, I don’t remember needing any specialty tools. The headliner/door cards will look quite ugly when stripped. Could try flocking them if you’re handy.

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
You can buy new from the dealership, but the 2-door with sunroof variant does not exist anymore. If that's what you have you'll need to find an upholstery shop to redo the liner. Look up headliner doctor. They sell fabric that nearly matches what's in our car.