GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Headlight upgrade question

Duffygould

Hello all!
First time poster so sorry if I've messed anything up here. I was wondering if y'all have any suggestions for upgrading bulbs on 06 mk5 GTI? I've replaced the bulbs with some cheap ones from Amazon here: ICBEAMER 30000K D2S D2C D2R Xenon Factory HID Replacement for OEM Headlight Low Beam Light Bulbs Color: Dark Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N02ZH53/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_MCn9asZk1qpkd
But after install I haven't been really impressed with the amount of light they're producing. I'm stationed in Italy and often have Italians flashing their lights at me probably bc they this I don't have lights on or something like that. So if y'all have any suggestions I would appreciate it! Oh yeah shipping to APO box would be required so I've been able to use AMAZON and ECSTuning this far. Thanks!

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
What is the year and model of your car dude? Do the lamp sizes D2S, D2C, D2R apply to your car? I'm pretty tight with the parts and service dept. of my local dealership. OEM Zenon HID's are stock in my 2007 GTI and are plenty bright for me. What color temperature are you looking for? 8,000K, 10000K? APO shipping from a dealership or warehouse is a thing I'm sure. Thank you for your service to our country.
https://www.amazon.com/ICBEAMER-Fac...8------------&vehicleName=2007+Volkswagen+GTIhttps://www.amazon.com/ICBEAMER-100...8------------&vehicleName=2007+Volkswagen+GTI

Last edited:

Duffygould

What is the year and model of your car dude? Do the lamp sizes D2S, D2C, D2R apply to your car? I'm pretty tight with the parts and service dept. of my local dealership. OEM Zenon HID's are stock in my 2007 GTI and are plenty bright for me. What color temperature are you looking for? 8,000K, 10000K? APO shipping from a dealership or warehouse is a thing I'm sure. Thank you for your service to our country.
https://www.amazon.com/ICBEAMER-Fac...8------------&vehicleName=2007+Volkswagen+GTIhttps://www.amazon.com/ICBEAMER-100...8------------&vehicleName=2007+Volkswagen+GTI
They are the D2S's if not mistaken. The Car is a 06 GTI Mk5. I'm not looking for any color/temp in particular. Just bright. There are a ton of Italian roads and highways that have very little to zero lightings on them so I just want to be able to see the road and flash brighter when someone thinks they are too bright. The latter part isn't as necessary. Thanks for helping out!

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
The lower the Kelvin number the warmer (browner) the light. The higher the number, the "bluer" it gets. From daylight to cool-white. It makes a difference. The brightness is a constant. That's lamp dependent. Xenon's are brighter than Halon's generally. It's all about the envelope gas.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
...................... I'm stationed in Italy and often have Italians flashing their lights at me probably bc they this I don't have lights on or something like that. So if y'all have any suggestions I would appreciate it! ...................

Perhaps they are flashing at you because your headlights are blinding them or your HIDs are misaligned .

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
To do the headlight adjustments on a HID Bi-Xenon equipped car you first need to use a tool like Vcds to put it in Basic Setting. FWIW the ROW GTIs MKV did not get HID as standard equipment it was an option unlike the NAR GTIs that had them as standard equipment. Based on the bulb that OP linked to it has a D2S base and not an H7 base so must by a HID.

Basic Setting
Headlight Adjustment
[Select]
[55 - Xenon Range]
[Basic Settings - 04]

Group 001
[Go!]
Activate the Basic Setting.
[ON/OFF/Next]
  • The meas. block field now shows "Wait" and should switch to "Adjust Headlights" then (this may take up to 10 seconds).
  • Adjust the headlights using their manual adjusting screws as referenced against a suitable aiming target.
[ON/OFF/Next]
The adjustment should now be learned.
[Done, Go Back]
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

So much wrong in that video its not funny but sad

Last edited:

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Based on the link you provided the spec is 4300K which is about what the GTIs original came with should be fine although I have never heard of that brand before.

kingkhan

Ready to race!
Based on the link you provided the spec is 4300K which is about what the GTIs original came with should be fine although I have never heard of that brand before.

I saw the review here and they claim that the actual colour temp is 5000k. I haven't heard of the brand before either, but for the price I'm willing to give them a shot.

kingkhan

Ready to race!
Not sure if you are still following the thread, but I got around to installing the new bulbs yesterday. The weather was finally warm enough to function outside here. The bulbs are brighter and whiter than the ones I replaced. I've added a couple pictures of the output, and for the price, I'd definitely buy them again.
IMG_20200222_183353.jpg
IMG_20200222_183400.jpg