GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Headlight question

the_saint

Touring Car Champion
Hello everybody. I test drove a GTI lasty night (F-ng awesome!) and in the process I stalled it....twice.
It was a totally impromptu testdrive...I showed up at 9:15 just to 'look' around and ended up driving one to a little over 100 MPH :drool:.

Anyways, back to my question, when I killed it and went to start it back up, it looked like the head lights moved...a lot. It was as if the FAST was ashamed of me for killing it like that. But once I fired that puppy up, the headlights looked like they came back up to a normal angle, as if the FAST was happy and ready to rock again.
Do the headlights move like that, or was it all in my head? I know they are self leveling, but I wouldn't think they would 'stare at the ground' the way they did.

Thanks for your time guys...hopefully I will be back at the dealer in a month or so to talk so turnkey turkey! :burnrubber:

nomios

Touring Car Champion
You have answered your own question. They are self leveling. They stay in a down position when the lights are not on. Therefore when you do fire it up and they level themselves and it is quite noticable.

the_saint

Touring Car Champion
I see. I did not know that the headlamps point downward when off. Is there any particular reason they do this? Or is it just one of those gimmicks that make you say "Oh my god, I gotta have one of these!!"
If the latter is the case, it's working.

Please excuse the noobness, but are they planning on a 4 door GTI here in the states?

I like how you claim your fast got upset, and then was ready to rock.

yes they have HIDs

nomios

Touring Car Champion
the_saint said:
Is there any particular reason they do this? Or is it just one of those gimmicks that make you say "Oh my god, I gotta have one of these!!"
If the latter is the case, it's working.

My last car, 2003 MINI Cooper S, also had self leveling HIDs and it worked the same way. I don't know why they do that, but is damn cool...

MarkVGTI

Go Kart Newbie
I may be wrong but i think he was asking if they were HID's. Everything that I have read says that they are Xenon headlights. I thought that was different.

the_saint

Touring Car Champion
MarkVGTI said:
I may be wrong but i think he was asking if they were HID's. Everything that I have read says that they are Xenon headlights. I thought that was different.
If you're referingto me, I was asking about the movement of the headlights and the way they seemed to look at the ground when I stalled the GTI.

Xenon=HID

'nother question...do the GTI headlamps turn with the wheels like the Jetta?

Bouston

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 Subaru STI
the_saint said:
'nother question...do the GTI headlamps turn with the wheels like the Jetta?

I didn't know the Jetta did that. Only car I ever see do that was a Volvo, and that was a concept.

Dr. Woo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 VW .:R32
the_saint said:
Please excuse the noobness, but are they planning on a 4 door GTI here in the states?
Yes, there will be a GTI 5-door.

the_saint

Touring Car Champion
Bouston said:
I didn't know the Jetta did that. Only car I ever see do that was a Volvo, and that was a concept.
I thought it was the Jetta...which car is in that commercial with the guy riding his bicycle down the dark road and a car comes up behind him and follows him, using it's headlights to illuminate around corners for the cyclist?

Dr. Woo, any idea of an ETA for the 5 door?

UMassJ77

JawnY
Car(s)
MKV GTI DSG
the_saint said:
I thought it was the Jetta...which car is in that commercial with the guy riding his bicycle down the dark road and a car comes up behind him and follows him, using it's headlights to illuminate around corners for the cyclist?

That I think is a HELLA commercail or something...its the DynoView....headlights from..Hella....you can correct me if I am wrong.