GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Headlight Leveling Sensor 1K0941274B vs 1K0941274C

MagicMK

Drag Racing Champion
So, does anyone know what the difference is? Believe it or not, my GTI was manufactured in May 2008, and according to ECS, the part "B" is good for MKVs up until 05/08 while the version "C" is good from after May 2008. I checked the VIN as well, and while the numbering is a bit confusing, it does appear that I would require version B.

One of the reasons I ask is that version C is readily available on eBay at very cheap prices, while version B - not so much. That said, the parts look EXACTLY the same, and since version B and version C both fit the MKV, is there any reason somebody couldn't use the Version C model of the headlight leveling sensor on a pre 05/08 MKV?

FYI:
https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-R32_MKV--3.2/Lighting/Headlights/Leveling/Sensor/

Thanks.

Last edited:

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
They must have change something but I have no idea what? If your VIN is greater than 300001 you can go with C. I see both knockoff versions at about $50 or less.

MagicMK

Drag Racing Champion
They must have change something but I have no idea what? If your VIN is greater than 300001 you can go with C. I see both knockoff versions at about $50 or less.

Yeah, but the C version sells on eBay for as little as $13.92 with free shipping, while the B version has much lower availability and the best price I could find for an aftermarket no-name (Chinese) sensor was about $45. That's about 3X as much - and since there are two sensors, and BOTH of mine are broken, I'd prefer to go as cheap as I reasonable can, as long as they all work essentially the same. The OEM is crazy expensive, at over $150 on sale (at ShopVWParts.com):

https://www.shopvwparts.com/oem-parts/volkswagen-level-sensor-1k0941274b

Although, the OEM sensors, version B and C, are priced the same at both ECS and ShopVWParts.com. It's ebay aftermarket parts where there's such a big difference.

doc280

Ready to race!
Are there any c versions listed, on Ebay, located in the USA ,which except returns? I would try that route, worse case scenario, if version C does not work, return it. And of course let us know your findings.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Ok, I believe I found the difference between the two sensor B & C the B had a replaceable sensor that carried part number 1T0907503. If you look at the sensor arm mount to the rest of the swing arm you can see that B uses a nylon locking nut and C has a ball stud that is part of the sensor arm and not removable. That sensor that uses a ball stud and carries replacement number 1T0907503B https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Niveausenso...r-VW-Audi-1K0941274C-1T0907503B-/132504751575

doc280

Ready to race!
Ok, I believe I found the difference between the two sensor B & C the B had a replaceable sensor that carried part number 1T0907503. If you look at the sensor arm mount to the rest of the swing arm you can see that B uses a nylon locking nut and C has a ball stud that is part of the sensor arm and not removable. That sensor that uses a ball stud and carries replacement number 1T0907503B https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Niveausenso...r-VW-Audi-1K0941274C-1T0907503B-/132504751575

I see what your seeing and it still looks to me that it may work. There is one listed for $13.92, in the USA, so I am a gluten for punishment and I would give it a go.

MagicMK

Drag Racing Champion

Hey, thanks for looking - much appreciated. They really look much the same. Okay, you're referring to physical differences, which they must be minor given the designs are essentially the same... but, I'm also wondering, since it's an electrical part, would part C act any differently in VAG than part B? More specifically, would installing part C in a part A-B year'ed GTI *not* throw a code on a scanner and otherwise work properly?

I noticed after I had purchased a higher end Autel MX808 scanner that reads body codes, that there was an error code for the headlights, and I'm guessing it was because of my broken leveling arm. In fact, it had even detected a damaged passenger door woofer (which I hadn't even detected yet - not until a few months later when the woofer cone totally ripped)... anywho, I was quite impressed with the electronic sensors and their ability to detect damage in a car that is now over a decade old.

I see that you guys see the same part I saw for $13.92... and that's peanuts, but I really don't want to take the time to install the part if it's not going to work. I would think it would work -- but as you can see from my ECS link and if you look at ShopVWParts.com, they clearly call for different sensors in different years.

MagicMK

Drag Racing Champion
Are there any c versions listed, on Ebay, located in the USA ,which except returns? I would try that route, worse case scenario, if version C does not work, return it. And of course let us know your findings.

Hey - I was thinking about you, specifically, when I asked this question, so thanks for responding. I've watched all the work you've done on your GTI, and your handiwork is quite impressive. I was thinking that since you've done suspension work, and given the age of your car, you've likely bumped up against the leveling sensors as well.

Yes, I mentioned the $13.92 sensor from eBay in my initial post - the fact that the sensor is SOOOO cheap, has me spending some extra time to figure out if it would work. The fact that the B sensor (another cheap Chinese no-name aftermarket part) is 3X as much creates a bunch of questions -- although, the price difference may just be due to lack of availability of the older B sensor, given that the genuine VW part sells for the exact same amount, whether B or C.

The above said, what are your thoughts on the body error codes? My Autel scanner picked up a headlight error code, and I think it's related to the broken leveling sensor (I now realize they're broken in the front AND the back). Do you think the C version will work with VAG in a B car? It's not a DTC Engine or Emissions Code, so really doesn't matter for inspection, but I was wondering if the Hella-made OE HID headlights on the car were the same for all of the years, and if so, then why wouldn't the B and C sensor that "feed" input to the headlight units essentially work the same? Do you agree - are the headlights units the same? I thought they were.

doc280

Ready to race!
I really need to update my "GTI on the cheap" post, so much has been going on.

I am no expert, but as far as I know the HID headlights are the same. Not sure the electric guts in version c are the same as version b. Version C is cheap and these sensors are not difficult to remove and install. Also check the wires leading to the sensor to ensure there are no breaks or damage. Make sure the connection does not have contaminates in it.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
The wiring diagrams for the HID are the same between the two years. You should be fine with B or C. The issue for me would be if the aftermarket sensor are any good or just crap and if your issue is really the sensor or something else.

MagicMK

Drag Racing Champion
I really need to update my "GTI on the cheap" post, so much has been going on.

I am no expert, but as far as I know the HID headlights are the same. Not sure the electric guts in version c are the same as version b. Version C is cheap and these sensors are not difficult to remove and install. Also check the wires leading to the sensor to ensure there are no breaks or damage. Make sure the connection does not have contaminates in it.

Yes, you do need to update -- I believe I'm even following your "GTI on the cheap" posting. Btw, if you have the time, I think it would be helpful if you provided some additional details on your work - such as more info or pics (if you have the time) showing your installation work. It seems there are questions that come up from random posters that relate to issues that you may have already tackled on the MKV.

Back to my issue - yes, it's an easy install, but I still have to jack the one side of car, remove the wheel, get dirty, etc... not a big deal, but wanted to avoid the hassle if I can of using a bad part. As an FYI, I notice you're really an eBay guy... I tend to buy more of the brand name parts vs the no-name stuff on eBay coming out of China. I've gotten some fairly awesome deals on parts from FCP Euro - and they offer a lifetime guarantee on every part they sell - including oil filters if you can believe. At any rate, a 2008 GTI doesn't have that much residual value left, so if I can get a $200 sensor for $14, and it's not a "critical part" like the cam follower is, for ex (in that case, bought the German made OE INA for that one)... I'll take a chance on the Chinese part.

I agree with your conclusion on the "C" part... seems worth a shot. If I buy it, I'll definitely follow up in this thread post install.

Thanks, and look forward to YOUR updates.

MagicMK

Drag Racing Champion
The wiring diagrams for the HID are the same between the two years. You should be fine with B or C. The issue for me would be if the aftermarket sensor are any good or just crap and if your issue is really the sensor or something else.

Thanks, appreciate that - this info is very helpful. At $13.92 for the C vs $45 for the B vs $152.25 + shipping for the OEM discounted part, I think it's worth a shot.

If I order it, I'll definitely follow up regarding whether it worked.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks, appreciate that - this info is very helpful. At $13.92 for the C vs $45 for the B vs $152.25 + shipping for the OEM discounted part, I think it's worth a shot.

If I order it, I'll definitely follow up regarding whether it worked.
So what was the outcome of this C vs B