GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Headlight adjustment?

Black Magic

'07 2.0T GTI 6MT Package2
Car(s)
'07 GTI
Is it me or are the headlights set low? The load leveling seems to be working OK but, the furthest point of the low beams are about 15 feet in front of the vehicle. For city driving this is fine, in the country it is a little hard to see without the hi beams. Anyone agree? Can they be easily adjusted?:help:

bennylenny88

bora bora dude
Car(s)
Golf mk5 GTTDI 2.0
there should be a adjustable roll thing on the dash near the headlight switch..

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
Is it me or are the headlights set low? The load leveling seems to be working OK but, the furthest point of the low beams are about 15 feet in front of the vehicle. For city driving this is fine, in the country it is a little hard to see without the hi beams. Anyone agree? Can they be easily adjusted?:help:

pop the hood. you will see some little plastic black tabs near the back of the headlight housing with a (+) and (-).

pull it out, use a screw driver to adjust each headlight. put the little tab back. and tuddah.

Kirium

Go Kart Champion
there should be a adjustable roll thing on the dash near the headlight switch..

Bi-xenons are self-levelling and don't have the little adjustment wheel like halogens do.

To the OP, you can either do it yourself (roughly as outlined below) or take it to a dealer. Get them to do it for free because it should have been correctly set during PDI.

The little white screws are what you need to adjust. the inner one is up-down and the one between the front guard and light is left-right...

My suggestions is:

1. Park on a level surface infront of a wall.
2. Adjust beam up or down until the beam cutoff on the wall is level with the lamp. Note position of beam cutoff.
3. Move car back a couple of meters.
4. If the beam cutoff moves, adjust as required back to level of the headlamp.
5. Keep moving the car back and forward until the beam cutoff stays at a constant level.

You'll end up with the low beam cutoff staying at a constant level regardless of distance from the wall, which means means it's not shining up into the face of oncoming traffic and isn't set short straight into the road and is throwing light as far as possible. High beam should be like daylight.. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Black Magic

'07 2.0T GTI 6MT Package2
Car(s)
'07 GTI
Kirium,
Perfect! Thanks. It was a little scary doing 90mph only seeing 15 feet in front of the car! Only kiddin!!!!!!!!!! It was 80mph! :)

Appreciate the help.

crow94

New to the VW community
Car(s)
07 MKV Rabbit
need clarification on headlamp adjustment

Bi-xenons are self-levelling and don't have the little adjustment wheel like halogens do.

To the OP, you can either do it yourself (roughly as outlined below) or take it to a dealer. Get them to do it for free because it should have been correctly set during PDI.

The little white screws are what you need to adjust. the inner one is up-down and the one between the front guard and light is left-right...

My suggestions is:

1. Park on a flat surface infront of a wall.
2. Adjust beam up or down until the beam cutoff on the wall is level with the lamp. Mark position of beam cutoff.
3. Move car back a couple of meters.
4. If the beam cutoff moves, adjust as required.
5. Keep moving the car back and forward until the beam cutoff stays at a constant level.

You'll end up with low beam that throws light as far as possible without it being aimed too high at distance and blinding other drivers (and them flashing you in return). High beam should be like daylight.. :biggrin:

I have a 06 MK5 Rabbit and the question I have is, if you adjust the 2 screws, will it adjust the entire headlamp, or just one of the 2 lenses? The reason I ask is because my high beams are adjusted to high and the dealer says they are within spec. When I drive at night, there is a void between the top of the low beams and the bottom of the high beams. I believe that the outside lense is just for the DRL's and low beam. The inside lense is for the high beam ...... Can someone clarify?
Thanks

gyuri

Ready to race!
The inner "flash to pass" don't come on as high beams unless you have them enabled by vag-com. Then they will come on in addition to the xenon high beams. It makes a big difference.

Last edited:

GTI2007

isn't that only for the in-dash lights?

The GTI, who has xenon headlights, indeed has only 1 roller and that is indeed for the in-dasht lights. But there's also a version with a double roller (see pic below) where the left one is for the in-dash lights and the right one for the levelling of the headlights. This is placed in every Golf who doesn't have xenon headlights.

Attachments

• roller.jpg
    roller.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 18,147

supaflip

WWAATTAAHH!!!
The GTI, who has xenon headlights, indeed has only 1 roller and that is indeed for the in-dasht lights. But there's also a verion with a double roller (see pic below) where the left one is for the in-dash lights and the right one for the levelling of the headlights. This is placed in every Golf who doesn't have xenon headlights.

oh thas cool.