GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Headlight Adjustment not going exactly how VCDS says it should...

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Headlight Adjustment not going exactly how VCDS says it should...I recently installed a new headlight assembly and finally drove at night and the left that I just replaced is lower than the right.

I follow these instructions;
There are certain test conditions that must be met before doing this procedure:

• Vehicle must be parked on level ground and "settled" on its suspension
  • Parking brake should be OFF
  • Ignition should be in the "On" position
  • Headlamps should be "Off"
Procedure for Aligning Xenon Headlamps:

[Select]
[55 - Xenon Range] (For some newer vehicles, use [29 - Left Light] instead )
[Basic Settings - 04]

Group 001
[Go!]

Wait at least 20 seconds for the headlamp motors to move. The headlamps are now in their adjustment position. Turn on headlights. Adjust them via their manual adjusting screws as referenced against a suitable aiming target.

Scroll up to Group 002. The Xenon Range controller has now learned this position as its Home position.

Click the [Done, Go Back] button and you're all set.

....but when I get to the step; Scroll up to Group 002. ....I cannot use the up or down buttons as they are dimmed. When I enter 2, it says error. Finally, and doing the exact same thing there was no error in Group 002. I hope it is learned but who knows until I drive at night again.

Anyhow, just wanted to see what others may have run into regarding this. I see there is a warning related to lowered blah blah blah on the VCDS site. So yes, mine is low and the headlight level sensor linkages are not incorrect. They may however be bottomed out. Although it never had an issue auto-leveling before. Just curious why the VCDS steps do not go as stated.

All ears.....

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Yes, that is one of the steps:
"The headlamps are now in their adjustment position. Turn on headlights. Adjust them via their manual adjusting screws as referenced."

I am tasking about the step that states scroll up to Group 002. Mine doesn't allow this using the up and down arrows, and when I manually enter Group 002 in the box it says 'error' in the Group 002 boxes.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Thank You GTI's for;
Headlight Adjustment

[Select]
[55 - Xenon Range]
[Basic Settings - 04]

Group 001
[Go!]
Activate the Basic Setting.
[ON/OFF/Next]
  • The meas. block field now shows "Wait" and should switch to "Adjust Headlights" then (this may take up to 10 seconds).
  • Adjust the headlights using their manual adjusting screws as referenced against a suitable aiming target.

[ON/OFF/Next]
The adjustment should now be learned.
[Done, Go Back]
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

....it differs than the one I kept finding.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I am sorry, let me clarify. I did not go into VCDS, I just made the manual adjustment and all was good and has been for three years.

I replaced both of my headlights and did just as you did. Manual adjustment worked fine for me, no other adjustment needed. It was about a 5min operation per headlight.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I too will try just the manual adjustment without vcds. I made one adjustment a while ago and then later it looked to be low again. We'll see.