GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Headlight adjustment issue

al3xh

Hi all,

I've been trying to raise my headlight beam a bit since it's a bit too low to give enough throw to allow me to see the potholes but have not been able to successfully do it. I followed the instructions with OBD11:

1. Navigate to control units, once connected to your car, under garage
2. Then navigate down towards the bottom to find "4B"
3. Select "Basic Settings" from the menu
4. Select "Basic headlight settings"
5. Press and hold the green check mark
6. Press the back button

7. Go to the headlights and stick the Allen wrench in the adjustment knob
8. Turn COUNTER CLOCKWISE to raise the beam.
9. Go back to your OBD11 and select "Acknowledge basic settings"
10. Press and hold the green check mark

However in step 7, the headlights barely raised even after 10s of rotations. I thought I was using the wrong adjustment screw but it seems to be right:

gtir.jpg
gtil.jpg

does anyone know what might be the problem? I have tried turning the other screws just to see if they do anything but it also seems like they don't. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

ItsOEM

Those are not the correct screws.

There is a little gap/notch next to the screws you've circled. If you look into this gap (may need a flashlight), you'll see about 4" down there is another screw. That adjusts the height of your low-beams.

I did this without using ODB or VCDS, by the way and it is working fine.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
You should not need to be using a diagnostics tool to adjust your headlights up/down , left/right, the basic settings procedure is used to adjust and calibrate the auto levelling (headlight range control) and dynamics ONLY, normal adjustment is made with just the screws, the diagnostic equipment is always attached when doing this at the dealership because it is the ‘procedure’, if your headlights are functioning properly in every other way then it is a step that is not needed as it has no effect over the adjustment either being undertaken or maintained.
Page 164
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u7hyleh6ohshqzh/D4B8046FCC6-Maintenance.pdf?dl=0

Last edited:

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Speaking of lateral adjustments, how should we position our headlights? I don't recall seeing two screws when I was adjusting my headlights last month.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Speaking of lateral adjustments, how should we position our headlights? I don't recall seeing two screws when I was adjusting my headlights last month.

When I am 20' from surface I verify the hump is in line with each headlight and equal distant from the other hump. If it is close, I leave alone

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
When I am 20' from surface I verify the hump is in line with each headlight and equal distant from the other hump. If it is close, I leave alone

I know what you mean but "hump" just sounds funny.