GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

heading to the drag strip in a bit, advice?

danger dan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
gti
well got a call from some guys who are headed to the 1/4 mile drag strip here in kinston nc, i thought i would go, ive driven tracks and whatnot, but never done a 1/4 (in a front wheel car) any tips?

i have the nuspeed torque arm insert and pro kit springs so that should cut down on some of the wheel hop and traction issues, what rpm do you guys usually launch at, and how so?

right now all i have is apr 93 and evoms for performance

im going around 7 and should be back 9 or 10, ill try to get some pics or vids, but ill at least have some times to show.

going with a few guys, modded mk4 gli, 350z, s2000, some civics, and who knows what else.

Last edited:

Turbo GTI

Autocross Newbie
I think you should launch at like 3000 or around that range.. Don't dump the clutch either slowly let out.

danger dan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
gti
yea i was thinking of easing it through the begining of first gear, maybe shift a bit before redline if i can, then go all out in second.

zooplancton

perma-grinnin'
carefully pre-load your turbo then let 'er rip. i personally wouldn't drag my new car, but have fun man! grudge matches are super fun!

ketchupfreak

Go Kart Champion
Take a dump right before you go. Weight reduction ftw!!!

jk, but anyway, lower your psi in the front to about 20 or maybe less. Try to have 1/4 tank of gas in your tank. Launch on the third yellow. Dont be intimidated. Have fun!

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!
Drive AROUND the water box, don't lower your front tires less than 26 psi or so, a street radial tire isn't designed for it and will actually pull rubber off the ground, and feel squidgy on the top end.

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!
Water box? What is the water box for?
Just asking for good ole information. :smile:

It's usually about 60 feet in front of the starting line where they spray water to do your burnout in. Street tires pick up water and carry it to the starting line. With a slick, usually you drive into the far end of it, do your burnout and carry it out into the dry... I've been on tracks that are literally so sticky your shoes almost get pulled off your feet if they aren't tied tightly, so they spray the water to help the car get the burnout started.

If you look to the right of the smoke from the left rear tire in this picture, you can see some water... And obviously the hose between the cars.

Attachments

• mod4.JPG
    mod4.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 364

danger dan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
gti
just got back.

well i have to say my first time at the track was a blast, but i got some shitty ass times, i ran the 8th alot, kept wheel hopping or spinning and eventually pulled some low 9 sec passes.

i tried to 1/4 mile a few times, first time i actually had a decent launch, then for some fucking reason i let off before the end of the 1/4 mile (ran like 15.2@67 ha)

only got to run the 1/4 like 4 or 5 times, let off early on 2, spun horribly in 1, and left esp on in the last.

i ran a stock civic si (07) when i left the esp on
heres what i ran

1/8- 9.585@78
1/4- 14.716@98.050

civic si got me off the line (fukin esp), by 1/8 i had passed him and by the end i had like 3 cars on him (he probly couldnt drive, told me it was his first time there as well)

he ran a 15.9@93

moral of the story, i had a fun time, ran a 98 trap speed, which i think is great with just an intake and chip. i think i can get low 14's if i just get the launch down.

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!
It's just incredible what these 2.0's with a chip are running, that car I posted above, when that thing was stock it was only trapping like 94 MPH which was thought to be damn fast for a stock car 6 or 7 years ago.

danger dan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
gti
yea i know, 98 trap should be good for low 14s on a fwd car, i never dropped my tire pressure either, these contis suck also, i need some real tires.

danger dan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
gti
What kind of 60' times were you getting? 98mph isn't bad for your mods

haha, like 2.4...

i never took any pressure out of my tires. got there late and there were alot of people in the line. so i didnt have time do do but a few passes, all of which sucked.

if i can run 14.6 at 98 with esp accidentally on (pretty much stopped me during launch) im sure low 14s arent out of the questions.

it was my first time so i sucked, but i had a good time for sure.