GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hawk HPS + 18z calipers... rattle

penance

Fakinsupa
Car(s)
GTI
Installed a week ago - anyone running this setup experienced/-ing pad rattle?

The single click noise each time I release from a stop is livable - but the drivers side rattles when driving over road imperfections.

Took it back to the mechanic, he said its all installed correctly and that it's just a common issue with the setup.

My only apparent choice is installing stock pads if I don't want the rattle; as they are a tighter fit.

Truth? Or bullshit?

I can't take a look myself until the weekend.

Here's a sound clip from drivers seat foot area:
Memo.m4a

Last edited:

cruizin01

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 Rabbit
why would road imperfections cause the brake pad to rattle? nothing moves any different in the braking system over bumps, unless something is really loose.

penance

Fakinsupa
Car(s)
GTI
why would road imperfections cause the brake pad to rattle? nothing moves any different in the braking system over bumps, unless something is really loose.
That's exactly why I'm thinking they are BS-ing me..

But I can't jack the car up and take a look myself until the weekend. So I'm seeing if anyone has experienced this noise before (clip is linked in OP ^), or has any thoughts as to what it may be.

My immediate thought when it started was blown shock, but I've had that before and it was a more substantial knocking noise than this.

penance

Fakinsupa
Car(s)
GTI
Not that anyone else appeared to have a clue, but for the sake of resolution on the thread...

I jacked the car up tonight. Looks like the mechanic knocked the drivers brake line out the bottom of the retaining bracket; behind the shock.

So every minor road imperfection the line connection point (Solid vehicle line -> SS Caliper line) kept smacking upwards against the bottom side of the bracket.

(mods can close thread)