GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hatch Pop kit door height

penance

Fakinsupa
Car(s)
GTI
I've tried searching - not getting much of an answer.

Does the height the door opens too change with the ECS Hatch Pop kit?

ECS says "No, stays at stock height". But I've read: "It does lower it slightly", "~5 inches", and a lot of "I dunno, I'm short anyways".

I'm 6'2" and love how I never have to worry about banging my head, while trying to access the trunk... like I do in some large sport utility vehicles.

Anybody have an definitive answer?

:help:

604GTI

#yoloSWAG
PG Performance has done a couple of these for MKV's. I suggest you give them a call and they could probably answer your question.

BoardSnow6

Banned
Car(s)
Capita Scaremaster
No, you won't have to worry about banging your head.

Did you open the hatch before you made this thread? It goes almost vertical.

penance

Fakinsupa
Car(s)
GTI
Are you serious? Of course I know that.

I'm talking about height after kit install... been reading mixed reviews as to how high it lifts afterwards. ECS say same height, everyone else says anywhere from 1-5 inches lower.

I have about 1" clearance headroom under stock height. If it does drop 1-2"+ I don't want it, as I'll have to start ducking under. (*especially when my ride height goes down soon*)

I was looking to see if someone has measured before/after.

Last edited:

penance

Fakinsupa
Car(s)
GTI
Update for the sake of informing future buyers that want to know...

Kit drops door height 3 inches exactly.

(Mods can close/lock thread)

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
Good to know. As someone who's 6' 4", I do enough ducking already. I'll just remove the hatch pop from my list of future mods then...

penance

Fakinsupa
Car(s)
GTI
Good to know. As someone who's 6' 4", I do enough ducking already. I'll just remove the hatch pop from my list of future mods then...

Yeah, definitely pass on it :thumbsup:
I'm 6'2" and I still have to be conscious of clipping my head on it with sport springs. Would be worse if I had the interior hatch panel installed, or was still on coil-overs.
It's a cool feature for cup-kit drivers, or shorter folk. But I'm pretty sure I'll remove this and sell it when I install air in the spring.

(The struts are pretty stiff - I had to get out at Pacific Crossing and close the trunk, because the lady border guard couldn't do it. lol)

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
LOL! I can only imagine it would be stiffer still as the temperatures drop, and the oil in the struts gets thicker, too.

It's always seemed like a neat mod to me, but not as cool as it would be if I could easily choose whether it popped or not with the remote. I'd hate to have it pop and then hit an overhanging pipe I couldn't see in the car or something.