GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Has anybody ever done this??

captain fsi

why cant it be simple!
Car(s)
2007 gti dsg
I havent found any one who has done a manual boost controller on a mkv gti.I have read not to do it but never any proof why.If you get a ecu tune all it does is increase boost and tells the computer to add more fuel.The computer by its self can do that to a point.

The answer im going to get is the stock ecu cant handle it.If you raise the bost to 16-17psi the computer will be able to adjust.Other ecu cars can have boost controllers it not like vw's will blow up just becuase you install one.

Im just asking becuase I helped a friend install one on his eclipse and he is running 13-17psi on a stock ecu with just an intake and exhaust(its not running lean ).

'aftermarket dealers are asking way to much for parts,its not like we drive porche's".

our N75 valve controls boost...and just by upping the boost on these cars does not mean u are going to make power...the ECU on these cars is way to involved and correct way to much and adapts way to much to just throw an MBC on the car or EBC...but do what u want...i promise no one here will make fun of u or tell u they told u so

Johnny

I'm Here for the Gangbang
I don't understand. Why not just get a reflash from APR, REVO, or UNI? Is a MBC that much cheaper that it's worth it over a $500 reflash that'll give pretty significant gains per dollar spent?

RobbDizzle

Ambalamps Dispatcher
Car(s)
07 VW GTI 5-door
Comparing Eclipse and VW engine control systems is.....to put it lightly....apples to oranges.

Do it, but don't be suprised if it doesn't work out the way you think it will.

bme30

Ready to race!
i think what he is looking for is a real answer. I can see were he is coming from. There are many other cars that all you need to do is up the boost, but for the sake of an argument, i know that our cars are different. New car and new advancements in technology means more computer control. None of the new cars can work effectively with mbc, or ebc.

2wdBlazer

Ready to race!
So you have heard more reasons not to get one. What do you think? I used to have an eclipse with an MBC and it ran like a raped ape but as stated but that was that car, way more crap on our cars to combat the install.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
First of all, they haven't made Eclipse Turbo's since what, 20 years ago? We barely had cell phone service then. You can't compare ECU's then with now. Even then, a stock ECU could only add about 15% more fuel at higher RPM's, since the injectors would max out. And timing would also max out at high RPM's. So you'll get in an Eclispe some more power in the mid-range but I guarantee you'll run lean in the upper ranges. How can you say your "buddy" doesn't run lean? Does he have an A/F ratio guage? You're just wasting your money with a MBC. You'll get limp-moded, and you can forget about your warranty.

dubbin

All in, All out..
Car(s)
09 GTI
uhhh the gsx an gst's were made untill the late 90's. i get the point though.

even on those cars, running a mbc w/o tuning is dumb. what exactly is tellin you that your friends eclipse is not running lean? a wideband plugged into a narrowband sensor? now as stated the n75 controls the boost to whats pre-set an encypted into the ecu, you could turn that mbc all the way open, go big, an try to run 20+lbs. but the wastegate will open way to early to allow that boost to be built. i have learned to not skimp out an look for cheap ways to upgrade this car, it just puts you in a box of fail at the end.

Last edited:

lextildeath

Ready to race!
Not to mention that the boost will build too quickly in lower RPMs where fuel mapping is low, and rods bend more easily that way.

captain fsi

why cant it be simple!
Car(s)
2007 gti dsg
Just wanted to see what people would say.I know eclipse motor and fsi are different(his is a 1998).Its 12years old not 20!

I wanted proof not theories.....

I have to say my gti is the worst to get parts for and the prices that are put on tunning/parts are atrocious.$600.oo for a a remap,$1,200.oo for a down pipe with a cat.Come on the aftermarket companies should be ashamed asking that much.The hp to cost level is one sided.

thanks,

vwinva

Ready to race!
Should have looked into that before buying the car. Gotta pay to play in the euro scene.

I ran a mbc on my old mk4 for a short period and it basically just ruins the drivability of the car. It's pretty much no boost or full, partial throttle and partial boost go completely out the window. Also to run a mbc without software the car would easily go into limp mode so the solution was to solder in a diode to trick the ecu. I never did that crap cuz in my opinion it's just stupid. I ended up throwing the mbc in the garbage.

Do things correctly from the get go, especially when you are talking about upping boost and whatnot. That's the one thing you don't want to go the cheap route with on thee cars. Then somEthing gets messed up and you wind up spending more to fix it then if you just got software in the first place.