**Gun Enthusiast Thread**

smanierre

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2011 GTI

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
On the AR that's lying down behind the DMR lookin one, is that red dot mounted at the end of the handguard?
Sure is…primary arms red dot

smanierre

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2011 GTI
Sure is…primary arms red dot
Any reason for it being so far forwards? Ideally it would be on the receiver since the handguard could deflect if being pushed up against something like a barricade.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I played hooky and took a few weapons to the range Friday, good times.

20211008_082732.jpg

smanierre

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2011 GTI

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Any reason for it being so far forwards? Ideally it would be on the receiver since the handguard could deflect if being pushed up against something like a barricade.
For quicker acquisition, both eyes open and it’s right over where my left hand directs the barrel

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Last edited:

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I decided to accurize my KO-44 (known as the M44 in the US), 1948 MY. It's a great thing there's good literature on the topic, as well as lots of knowledgeable people on forums.
I already managed to correct the issue of a hard to open bolt. Floated the barrel. Trigger work and shimming as needed are next. Most difficult part will be installing a side mount for the PU scope.

20211017_124934.jpg

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I decided to accurize my KO-44 (known as the M44 in the US), 1948 MY. It's a great thing there's good literature on the topic, as well as lots of knowledgeable people on forums.
I already managed to correct the issue of a hard to open bolt. Floated the barrel. Trigger work and shimming as needed are next. Most difficult part will be installing a side mount for the PU scope.

View attachment 228492
That's sweet! How old is the barrel and how heavy is that weapon?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
That's sweet! How old is the barrel and how heavy is that weapon?

As far as i can tell, it was never fired after being manufactured postwar in 48 and set aside for conservation.
The barrel looks excellent, as good as my new AK barrels.

As far as weight goes, i would say it's about as heavy as my Marlin 336 (about 7 pounds), maybe a tad bit lighter. This carbine has a non-detachable bayonet. Which i detached by pulling the bayonet lug bolt out with an impact driver. It's now not as nose heavy.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I stood next to someone at the range yesterday and watched his brand new Sig P365 break after 23 rounds...Trigger broke, just snapped internally. I carry the same handgun as my CCW :rolleyes: I really thought we were past the QC issues.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Went to the mountains with my family and for the first time in my life, I was able to just walk off into the hills and do some plinking with empties from the night before.

Maybe someday when my kids are older I can have enough property to plunk in the backyard.
CB5C46CD-EAF2-47D1-813B-35E75DAD8194.jpeg

Beju

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit Ed.
I stood next to someone at the range yesterday and watched his brand new Sig P365 break after 23 rounds...Trigger broke, just snapped internally. I carry the same handgun as my CCW :rolleyes: I really thought we were past the QC issues.
I know that nobody wants it to be them, but when you make anything in big enough quantities, some parts that shouldn't pass QC will slip through, and the P365 has been one of the best selling pistols in the country since it came out.

I've seen broken strikers in fairly new M&P and Glock pistols that were almost certainly due to improper heat treatment. The first Glock 43X and 48 I handled had weirdly different feeling triggers in guns that should be identical apart from the slide and barrel length; one was typical the Gen 5 feel, one was surprisingly gritty. Oh, and as much as people rave about the old German made SIG P226/228/220, if you go to replace sights on them, flip a coin on which sight you'll need to file to fit in an extra tight dovetail, or peen to stay in a loose dovetail.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Interesting! My P365 has been flawless and is pretty damn accurate for such a small pistol.