GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI vs BMW 330i

Tempted2Speed

is cooler than you
Car(s)
2007 GTI CW 6MT
I have a pretty much stock gti. 08 with evoms intake, neuspeed short shifter but no tune or anything(I know, I should have one.) I also have the big briefcase muffler removed but I know that doesn't change anything but maybe takes off a few pounds.

Did 2 runs with my friend in his 4 door 330i. Not the brand new ones, but the body that's a couple years old. 09 I think.

First run, rolling start from first gear at just a few mph. Got the jump on him immediately and thought he was history. We went up to 65 maybe and by the end of it I had him by only a few feet. Less than half a car maybe.

Second run was up to 80, again first gear roll. I had a couple bad shifts(I never race) and the jump he had on me from the start just kept increasing til he had me by maybe a car length at the end of it.

Haven't read on here about our cars vs 330's. I never race actually, so I'm pretty sure things wouldve went much more my way if I was a better shifter/shifted at correct rpm's. He was using paddles. Both times he wanted to start from dig but I declined. To my knowledge, there's no way to get a fast start from a dig without burning the clutch atleast a little, am I right on that?

Anyway just thought I'd share.

Car(s)
Subaru
I have a pretty much stock gti. 08 with evoms intake, neuspeed short shifter but no tune or anything(I know, I should have one.) I also have the big briefcase muffler removed but I know that doesn't change anything but maybe takes off a few pounds.

Did 2 runs with my friend in his 4 door 330i. Not the brand new ones, but the body that's a couple years old. 09 I think.

First run, rolling start from first gear at just a few mph. Got the jump on him immediately and thought he was history. We went up to 65 maybe and by the end of it I had him by only a few feet. Less than half a car maybe.

Second run was up to 80, again first gear roll. I had a couple bad shifts(I never race) and the jump he had on me from the start just kept increasing til he had me by maybe a car length at the end of it.

Haven't read on here about our cars vs 330's. I never race actually, so I'm pretty sure things wouldve went much more my way if I was a better shifter/shifted at correct rpm's. He was using paddles. Both times he wanted to start from dig but I declined. To my knowledge, there's no way to get a fast start from a dig without burning the clutch atleast a little, am I right on that?

Anyway just thought I'd share.

practice doing hard launches in the rain without spinning tires. youll get good at taking off. also, bogging instead of just punching it is another good way to gain traction from a dig. i raced my friends gti and he just floored it out of 1st while i bogged it in first. i did have wheel hop in 1st and 2nd but before i hit 45mph i prolly had 3 cars on him. but id sneak in a trial tune on this guy. go get the from revo or apr and ask the guy for a rematch... profit the win and make him hold that lose :cool:

Tempted2Speed

is cooler than you
Car(s)
2007 GTI CW 6MT
Just because I almost never race doesn't mean I don't know how to drive or my car is stock. I have other visual mods on my car including suspension.

I love these cars and like the vw community, not too crazy about racing

BTDUBS

The Interceptor
Car(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
The E46 330 you should take. An E90 330 should beat you as they have about 260hp vs the E46 225.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Those old 330s have been overshadowed by bmw's current beastly turbo and na options, but they are still stout performers even by today's sport compact standards. A race against one that has been well-maintained might indeed be a driver's race, but I wouldn't race for pinks without tuning first.

From what I remember they ran high 5s 0-60 and mid-14s stock, according to the magazines, plus they have rwd which will take you from a dig, and bimmer's are notoriously quick in the top end, where the K03 sort of tapers off and shits the bed.

Good runs though, and thanks for posting your results. :thumbsup:

Tempted2Speed

is cooler than you
Car(s)
2007 GTI CW 6MT
Yeah, that's true about the top end. We weren't able to hit high speeds because we were on city streets but I can tell when we were around 80 that if we were to go a few seconds more he wouldve just walked away