GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI to Golf R?

RabbitTwo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
@Hyperlite I have just updated another thread in regard to my own experience in going from three GTIs to an R, and back to a GTI.

I, too, used to have the same twinge of envy when I would see an R and also had aspirations of big power mods. I had wanted an R since the MK6, and after finally getting one followed by a very short lived ownership, the best part for me was getting my old car back.

This review is from the perspective of someone who wanted an R for many years, finally got one, and discovered it was not what I was personally looking for. A fantastic car, nevertheless, and a very different car.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/a-tale-of-two-rabbits.384941/

Hyperlite

Go Kart Newbie
That was a great write up! Thanks for sharing the insights. Was it issues with the R that ultimately made you return it? Or did you just realize that the gti suited you better after driving the R for awhile?

RabbitTwo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
That was a great write up! Thanks for sharing the insights. Was it issues with the R that ultimately made you return it? Or did you just realize that the gti suited you better after driving the R for awhile?
Thanks! Unfortunately, there were some unforeseen issues with the R that came up after delivery. The dealer was really great about unwinding the deal.

That said, I’d be lying if I said I didn’t miss the GTI almost immediately. Perhaps I’m spoiled having a Canadian-spec Rabbit in CF Blue, but I just love the car. Couldn’t be happier to be back behind the wheel.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
I've just made the switch from a relatively heavily-modded GTI (2015, Autobahn, 6MT) to an R (2018, DSG), which I did because, and only because, I totaled the GTI and damaged my hand in the process. It's unclear whether I will be able to safely drive a manual again due to the injury to my left hand (I wouldn't have considered a DSG otherwise), so I needed to go with a DSG car, and for me, a DSG in a FWD GTI isn't something I can quite get my head around (personal take, I know). I felt like if I had to go DSG, I should go R.

So, I went with an R. I've been driving it (stock so far) for about two weeks and to me it's a completely different car. It feels much more solid, more capable, nicer, if you like. More premium. But, I miss the GTI. Sorely. The R with the DSG feels like much less skill is required to drive it well. My GTI was putting down over 400lb/ft of torque at something like 2500rpm, with a manual gearbox, all through the front wheels; driving it well felt like it required a lot of engagement with the car, a lot of attention, and a fair bit of skill. I really miss the quick spool of the IS20 daily driving in NYC, I miss the lightweight, tossable feel of the GTI (even though it was an Autobahn), I miss the sunroof, I miss fitting a full-sized Neuspeed spare wheel and tire under the trunk on road trips, I miss the fog lights for illuminating NYC potholes at night as well as on foggy backroads, and I actually miss the low-res MIB on the 2015 and in the spec I had it, the complete lack of driver aids; it felt like a driver's car to me. The R feels like a very capable, no-drama grand tourer, which is great and I think I'll learn to enjoy it. But I'm a bit envious when I see a GTI whip around a corner. And, I really miss changing gears myself, but I won't get into that, haha. I also miss the better mileage around town (so far I'm averaging about the same on proper roads, but about 7-9mpg daily driving around Brooklyn in the R. I got much better than that in the GTI).

I do like the understated look of the R. Everyone in a tinted Acura or Honda or whatever used to want to race me (even on Brooklyn streets, what is that about?) in the GTI. Pretty much no-one tries that on in the R and I don't miss it one bit.

Just my two cents, two weeks into R ownership. I realize this is all very personal and someone else might disagree with all of the above. If I get full ability to grip the wheel with my left hand back, I wouldn't be at all surprised if I give up the R and get back in a 6MT GTI.
Damn, sorry about your hand. What exactly happened to it? Modern medicine/physical therapy should be able to fix it.

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Damn, sorry about your hand. What exactly happened to it? Modern medicine/physical therapy should be able to fix it.
Thank you, I appreciate that. The window was open and in the impact I for some reason reached to something that wasn't there for support and my hand got crushed outside the car. Multiple fractures in three fingers, a ring was torn off a finger and took most of the finger with it, large open wounds, it's pretty gnarly, I'll spare you all any further details, ha, but I'm getting better. Three operations and now lots of physio to get movement back, but it'll be a fairly long road. That said, it happened about five weeks ago and honestly I could probably drive a manual in about a month or so. I only got the R because the unexpectedly decent amount I got for my GTI (considerably more than I paid for it in 2017) from insurance offset the insane used R prices, so I went for it. Weirdly, though, when I was looking, I noticed that of available used Rs on the east coast, the manuals were significantly more expensive. Otherwise I might be thinking about a trade now, but I think maybe it's time to learn how to enjoy DSGs, as one day I'll have no choice anyway.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Thank you, I appreciate that. The window was open and in the impact I for some reason reached to something that wasn't there for support and my hand got crushed outside the car. Multiple fractures in three fingers, a ring was torn off a finger and took most of the finger with it, large open wounds, it's pretty gnarly, I'll spare you all any further details, ha, but I'm getting better. Three operations and now lots of physio to get movement back, but it'll be a fairly long road. That said, it happened about five weeks ago and honestly I could probably drive a manual in about a month or so. I only got the R because the unexpectedly decent amount I got for my GTI (considerably more than I paid for it in 2017) from insurance offset the insane used R prices, so I went for it. Weirdly, though, when I was looking, I noticed that of available used Rs on the east coast, the manuals were significantly more expensive. Otherwise I might be thinking about a trade now, but I think maybe it's time to learn how to enjoy DSGs, as one day I'll have no choice anyway.
Sorry to hear about that but you're handling it like a champ. Good for you and I wish you all the best.

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Sorry to hear about that but you're handling it like a champ. Good for you and I wish you all the best.
Thank you! Sometimes you have to accept the crappy things in life and keep moving on, ha. Could have been a lot worse. I appreciate the well wishes 🍻

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion

Wow. Really hope you continue to improve.

Buddy of mine had his foot hanging out of a golf cart and pulled up too close to cart path where the curb started. Just about ripped his foot off his leg. Can't imagine what you're going through, but I'm sure you'll be in another manual car soon.

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Wow. Really hope you continue to improve.

Buddy of mine had his foot hanging out of a golf cart and pulled up too close to cart path where the curb started. Just about ripped his foot off his leg. Can't imagine what you're going through, but I'm sure you'll be in another manual car soon.
Thank you! I'm sorry about your friend... hope he's recovered okay. You gotta be careful with these moving hulks of metal, it seems...

Sorry OP, you can have your thread back now ;)