GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI or Cobalt SS, personal opinions.

TerranceH08

I've been reading countless forums about reliability, performance and other costs/issues about the cobalt SS.

Now I want personal opinions from you guys,

The MKV GTI or the Cobalt SS S/C?

Im going up to college and leaving my car behind, but I really want something sporty to drive and come back too. I love my GTI, it's the 4door BMP with the DSG and blacked out wheels. But I dont do any track racing or really exert the GTI's true power, so I feel that DSG takes away the driving part of "driving".

Reasons Im looking at cobalt SS are: they're manuals, more of an uncommon trim of a car, better reliability than a lot of cars on the road, and cheaper maintenance and part costs.

Reasons Im going against a cobalt SS are... well mainly... it's a COBALT with a big spoiler!!!!!

What you guys think?

I want to get the APR tune my MKV but then I have to upgrade a bunch of other parts to go along because everything is stock and dont know If I want to continue paying what I pay as a college student (because prices are just going to increase for me due to insurance).

thanks

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
So here's my 2 cents... I've owned my GTI through college and as much fun as it is, it can be really stressful so I understand you wanting to have something fun to drive to come back to. In my opinion the supercharged SS's are extremely lackluster as far as power goes. An SS/SC is a step backwords but a SS/TC however are beasts! So here's what I'd say, either get yourself into something fun (I.E trade for a manual GTI) or grab a Cobalt SS/TC if you can find a clean one. My family has a stage 1 GLI and my FBO GTI is 6MT, you will never find me choosing the DSG car for ANY reason over the 6MT.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I liked the first gen Cobalt SS but you should just stay in the GTI. Stage 1 doesn't require any upgrades and both cars need regular maintenance.

LilRaverBoi

Optometrist Prime
I think if you had a chance to ride around in a Cobalt SS, you'd understand how good the GTI really is. Better interior, better suspension, more refined.....well, everything. Trade for a manual GTI if that's what you want, but don't end up in a glorified chevy econobox POS.

mkvsao

alcoholic just like mygti
Car(s)
2007 mkv gti
I drove my friends Cobalt SS back in the day in high school, but at that point I'd never really driven a "quick" car. For the most part is was stock except for like CAI and exhaust I think. Now I have my own stage 2 + GTI, and I'm pretty sure even a stage 1 GTI would have smoked his car. Like the others have suggested, I'd either stay with your DSG or trade for a MT. Keep up with regular maintenance and enjoy your ride. In the end it's your personal choice.

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
i was down with the DSG quick shifting,plus in high density traffic/city situations you'll hate clutching every 5 seconds and barely moving lol. but seriously dude, ford is more reliable then chevy nowadays, it aint the 60's anymore. try focus ST?

Eric6014

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2 Door 2008 GTI DSG
I don't think you're going to get any unbiased opinions on this forum. Mine included. You'll never see me in a Chevy even if my DSG decides to shit the bed... I might take a hard look at a focus but in the end there's nothing the big three US automakers are putting out these days that excites me enough to stray from my GTI.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I don't think you're going to get any unbiased opinions on this forum. Mine included. You'll never see me in a Chevy even if my DSG decides to shit the bed... I might take a hard look at a focus but in the end there's nothing the big three US automakers are putting out these days that excites me enough to stray from my GTI.

Word. +1. Even on the DSG comment. My dual-mass flywheel has failed once and is rattling like a mofo again. Even that isn't enough to shift me to a Cobalt anything.