GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI Drivetrain

iPanir123

Go Kart Champion
Am I the only one who constantly thinks why isn't the GTI RWD?

Or why they don't make the GTI with an AWD option like the Audi a3?

Are there any benefits to FWD over RWD that I am unaware of?

/rant

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
If you want a GTI with AWD, get a base-model R.

The advantages of FWD are reduced cost, a more compact design, and more usable interior space. It is a logical choice for a hatchback.

iPanir123

Go Kart Champion
If you want a GTI with AWD, get a base-model R.

The advantages of FWD are reduced cost, a more compact design, and more usable interior space. It is a logical choice for a hatchback.

Well the price difference is huge. Isn't the market of the GTI a sports hatchback though? Wouldn't the pros outweigh the cons in this case given the handling and traction benefits ?

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion

Yes you are.

They do it is called the Golf R.

/rant

Better road holding in damp conditions, more room inside the vehicle, less drive train components making them lighter and so on and so on.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion

/rant

It's not just as simple as adding some stuff and calling it RWD.

1. The GTI isn't RWD because in order to make it so the engine would most likely have to be rotated to a north south configuration (This means a longer space would be needed and therefore the dashboard would need to be pushed in meaning less cabin space). A driveshaft would run undernearth the car meaning the center console would have to be moved up in both the front and the back to fit it. (Less cabin space and destroying any legroom for the middle back seat). Then there's the cost issue of making all VW's cars on the MQB chassis and then needing to modify it to work with RWD.

2. That's the Golf R haha

3. Yes, FWD has the least drivetrain loss out of all three drivetrain setups. This mean that more of the engine power is converted into wheel horse power. In addition the lower weight coupled with low drivetrain loss increases MPGs. Also cabin space savings like stated in point 1.

There's a reason why things are done they way they are unfortunately.

iPanir123

Go Kart Champion
It's not just as simple as adding some stuff and calling it RWD.

1. The GTI isn't RWD because in order to make it so the engine would most likely have to be rotated to a north south configuration (This means a longer space would be needed and therefore the dashboard would need to be pushed in meaning less cabin space). A driveshaft would run undernearth the car meaning the center console would have to be moved up in both the front and the back to fit it. (Less cabin space and destroying any legroom for the middle back seat). Then there's the cost issue of making all VW's cars on the MQB chassis and then needing to modify it to work with RWD.

2. That's the Golf R haha

3. Yes, FWD has the least drivetrain loss out of all three drivetrain setups. This mean that more of the engine power is converted into wheel horse power. In addition the lower weight coupled with low drivetrain loss increases MPGs. Also cabin space savings like stated in point 1.

There's a reason why things are done they way they are unfortunately.

When I said awd GTI I was thinking about the a3 Quattro and the s3 which would be like the GTI v golf r. I didn't think that there would be so much for the rwd. What about the golf r since its awd? Since it also uses the rear wheels wouldn't the whole body be different ?

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
The MKV R had a Haldex system, just like the current S3. Audi may brand it as Quattro, but it is nothing like the original viscous-coupling full-time AWD Quattro system.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
Also, most RWD (only) cars that handle decent have the engine sitting farther behind the front wheels for better weight distribution. The GTI has a 61%/39% distribution. Good RWD cars are as close to 50%/50% as possible.

RWD cars usually have longer hoods not only for engine orientation, but also because the engine sits farther back in the car. With the engine in it's current location, I think the weight would be too forward biased.