GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI .. Battery Relocation

EL_3grab

Beast from Middle East
Hi there

I'm in the process of relocating the battery to the trunk

I wanted to know how the R32 battery is wired, entry exist path in the trunk and engine bay

pictures would be great :thumbsup:

Thanks

Ghanem

bazzle

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MY08 R32 Silver 3dr
Feed for the fuse box and starter etc goes to a large +ve post at rear of engine bay. Battery cable is then run thru wall and along side to rear.

Bazzle

ZPrime

Big Geek
Car(s)
2008 R32, 3603/5000
You won't be able to put the battery in the trunk of a GTI the same way an R32 is. The R32 has a different floorpan than the GTI with spacing for the battery. If you want it to "look like stock" you'd need a completely different rear floor.

EL_3grab

Beast from Middle East
You won't be able to put the battery in the trunk of a GTI the same way an R32 is. The R32 has a different floorpan than the GTI with spacing for the battery. If you want it to "look like stock" you'd need a completely different rear floor.

Yup, I know that

I would love to have it all OEM ;)

BillyBob

is afraid of the dyno...
Car(s)
'12 4 door GTI
Huh. I never looked under the foam to see what the floor for the GTI looks like there.
I can imagine you can rivet/ bolt in an aluminum race battery box with a little finesse and get that battery cover and the R wiring.

CW MKV GTI

FukenMoven!
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Huh. I never looked under the foam to see what the floor for the GTI looks like there.
I can imagine you can rivet/ bolt in an aluminum race battery box with a little finesse and get that battery cover and the R wiring.

+1. I'm sure the process is completely do-able with enough know-how and enough elbow grease. As well as the right fabrication.

The thing is, you'd need a really slim battery/box with the gti. Because we have all that Styrofoam for the jack/wheel lock and other accessories that surrounds the spare tire. I imagine it can be removed, but that extra storage space is really beneficial in my eyes. Everything is organized perfectly and easy to get it should a situation ever arise where you needed it. If you were talking about putting a battery box to the side of the spare and UNDER the foam accessory "tray thing", It would have to be a DAMN small battery like I said, or else I can't see how the foam would be able to fit back in over it and the battery box.. There really doesn't seem like there's much room to work with. Me personally, I don't see a need to relocate it. The slight change in weight distribution probably wouldn't make a difference on a track. I could be wrong though. Another thing to think about it is...should you ever need to replace the battery, or do anything involving the battery, it would be that much more of a pain in the ass getting at it since you have to take all the foam out, yada yada, instead of just popping the hood and having it right there in front of you...

It aint my car though. Have fun with it! Hope you find your solution. Go with something lightweight. Odyssey comes to mind. They can get pretty pricey though, but you'll be saving a good chunk of weight. I heard someone talking on this forum about running a Braille battery but I think they are heavily orientated towards racing. Don't know if they'd work for a daily driven car, then again I don't know much about them. Those things weigh like <5lbs.

Last edited: