GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GT 1.4 TSI 170 Info ?

Mike-B

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK V Golf GT
Hi,

Having owned my MK V Golf GT 1.4 TSI 170 for a couple of months now I would like to look up information on the engine.

Somthing like this: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4042736 but for my UK spec engine is what I am after.

Can anyone point me in the right direction ?

I have Googled and can find a lot of stuff but nothing that goes deep enough.

Thanks.

mrbeck

VW Golf MKV Enthusiast
Car(s)
Golf GT Sport
We're members of an elite club you see...

E11 JNX

Car(s)
MkV Golf GT Sport
Glad to finally see some GT170 owners around here. Was starting to think I was alone.

Sorry, google gave me everything I know on our car as well.

Sorry to thread hijack, but what have you guys done to yours so far? Everything seems so GTI oriented on here.

Mike-B

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK V Golf GT
Glad to finally see some GT170 owners around here. Was starting to think I was alone.

Sorry, google gave me everything I know on our car as well.

Sorry to thread hijack, but what have you guys done to yours so far? Everything seems so GTI oriented on here.

You are not alone for sure.... I had almost given up on this forum.

To be honest I have done nothing in the way of mods to my GT. I can appreciate what people do modding wise and so on but I like my GT as VW intended it to be.

Who knows maybe at some point....

By the way... do either of you guys know if the TSI ( 1.4 ) has a timing belt or a chain ?

E11 JNX

Car(s)
MkV Golf GT Sport
I'm afraid I always assumed it had a belt, but don't take my word on it.

How old are you guys btw? Any pictures of your cars on here?

Mike-B

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK V Golf GT
I'm afraid I always assumed it had a belt, but don't take my word on it.

How old are you guys btw? Any pictures of your cars on here?

No pictures of mine as yet... will get some on soon, both standard and photoshopped.

As for my age, well.....way old !

Last edited:

Paul_OH

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf GT TSI
By the way... do either of you guys know if the TSI ( 1.4 ) has a timing belt or a chain ?

Definitely a chain, at least I know I won't have to change a belt at 100,000km or service :wink:

There's a few of us GT 1.4 TSI owners in the Australian section however unfortunately mods are few and far between. There's a couple with the APR software which run very nicely however that's the only tune available locally and for A$1550! I trialled it and it didn't work well for me at all so wish I was in the UK to try some other options.

Just about all the GTI mods locally are USA developed so are fairly well priced and due to the 1.4 TSI being only UK/Europe/Asia we rely on parts & mods from Europe so everything is pretty expensive or not available locally. Even my bloody wheels came from the UK :bellyroll:

For further engine info, check out ebay for the Elsawin DVDs, they contain a huge amount of info and will be very handy for DIY maintenance and parts sourcing. The one I have came from the UK for a GBP3-4? Very cheap!

Anyway, good to see some of our RHD brethren on here and will now keep my eyes open to see what you guys are up to. :w00t:

cheers,

Paul

Mike-B

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK V Golf GT
Hi Paul,

Good to hear from you and thanks for the information.

I knew the 2.0L TSI was a chain but wasn't sure about our 1.4's...

Will check out your forum area later.

Thats one sweet looking Golf you have there btw.

Cheers

Paul_OH

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf GT TSI
No Problem at all Mike.

I've been talking with Superchips locally in Australia re: a tune for the MkV 1.4 TSI and unfortunately they haven't developed one for our cars yet. In speaking with the local rep he stated that they're interested in developing a remap however they're apparently quite thin on the ground in the UK and demand hasn't been high (?). They are however interested in developing a software tune and would be willing to cut a deal with a local UK owner on any upgrades/reflashes.

I offered my own software as a baseline however they need to have a local car that can be put on the dyno etc. I have requested contact details for the correct person to speak with and upon receipt will post up details.

Any takers?

FYI, in sunny old Perth we only have the APR tune available locally which I trialled recently with mixed results so if someone is available to help develop a tune with an alternative service provider it would be much appreciated :clap:

Hopefully there's some good response

cheers,

Paul

triode12

Go Kart Champion
Another 1.4 TSI owner signing in.
She is called Heidi and is really my wife's car. Got Heidi on Christmas Eve 2009 with 14K kms on the clock. We have since put on another 16K on top on that.

Have outsprinted cars from the lights that are several engine sizes larger - much to the surprise of their owners. Still toying with the idea of putting the '1.4' emblem of the new Polo on the back of Heidi - just for a bit of a rub. :)

Mike-B

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK V Golf GT
Paul:

The tsi engined GT's are ( at least in my area ) quite a rare car. Seem to see more of the diesel GT's !

A remap is somthing I might consider.... though fuel consumption for the GT given it's horsepower was quite a factor in my decision to by a petrol GT ( Plus I have never been a fan of diesel engines ). To be honest I am not sure I would want to lose anything fuel economy wise......... That said my software could be used as a baseline and my car could be put on the dyno...

Triode12,

Heidi.... what a great name for a car !
To be honest I was toying with the idea of removing all the badges from the rear of my GT, or switching to a 1.4 badge but because I cannot make up my mind I have done nothing at all... lol.

Last edited:

triode12

Go Kart Champion
Paul:

The tsi engined GT's are ( at least in my area ) quite a rare car. Seem to see more of the diesel GT's !

A remap is somthing I might consider.... though fuel consumption for the GT given it's horsepower was quite a factor in my decision to by a petrol GT ( Plus I have never been a fan of diesel engines ). To be honest I am not sure I would want to lose anything fuel economy wise......... That said my software could be used as a baseline and my car could be put on the dyno...

Triode12,

Heidi.... what a great name for a car !
To be honest I was toying with the idea of removing all the badges from the rear of my GT, or switching to a 1.4 badge but because I cannot make up my mind I have done nothing at all... lol.

Thanks!
What are the badges on the rear of your GT?
The Aussie GT just has 'GT' on the left hand side...or is it the right...I can't remember at the moment.

And thank you for volunteering your car to be remapped.