GOLFMKV

Grocery shopping for broke people

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
"but eating fresh food is sooo expensive!"
nope. its actually amazingly cheap.

I came in here to make this point too. A common misconception is that it costs more money to not eat horseshit, that's the opposite of the truth. Grocery stores are basically throwing fruits and vegatables at you, just avoid shopping at places like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. I can easily grab enough lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, feta, radishes and chicken to feed myself for a week around the $30 mark. You'll save even more if you make your own vinaigrette and marinade (it's stupid simple). Find the "ethnic" stores near you, basically look for where the immigrants are doing their shopping. My parents sure as shit were not paying $5/lb for apples when we moved here, you shouldn't either.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
slow cooker

/thread

for real though, get yourself a slow cooker, you can do all kinds of shit with it. Buy some rice, beans, chicken, etc (coupons are gonna be your best friend), and hit up your local Aldi/Lidl/etc for sides. Oh, and soda costs money -- get those little offbrand mio squirt bottle water flavor things. They make 'em with caffeine if that's your jam.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
slow cooker

/thread

for real though, get yourself a slow cooker, you can do all kinds of shit with it. Buy some rice, beans, chicken, etc (coupons are gonna be your best friend), and hit up your local Aldi/Lidl/etc for sides. Oh, and soda costs money -- get those little offbrand mio squirt bottle water flavor things. They make 'em with caffeine if that's your jam.
Better yet get an electric pressure cooker that can serve as a slow cooker if you prefer. But after pressure cooking beef stew with all the other ingredients in 25 minutes and having it taste better than slow cooking for 8 hours you will prefer pressure cooking.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Better yet get an electric pressure cooker that can serve as a slow cooker if you prefer. But after pressure cooking beef stew with all the other ingredients in 25 minutes and having it taste better than slow cooking for 8 hours you will prefer pressure cooking.
Pressure cookers are dope too, my buddy makes some delicious ribs in it. By default I just associate "on a budget but want to eat good" with "slow cooker". Not sure what a pressure cooker costs these days, but I know the Crockpot brand one we have wasn't priced awfully at all.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Pressure cookers are dope too, my buddy makes some delicious ribs in it. By default I just associate "on a budget but want to eat good" with "slow cooker". Not sure what a pressure cooker costs these days, but I know the Crockpot brand one we have wasn't priced awfully at all.
We just bought a new instant pot this past black friday for $89 that is a slow cooker, pressure cooker, air fryer, steamer, rice cooker, and many other buttons that i'll probably never use. It replaced the old crockpot that we've had since god knows when....

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Around a $100 for an 8 quart one that's good quality. Worth every penny.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
We just bought a new instant pot this past black friday for $89 that is a slow cooker, pressure cooker, air fryer, steamer, rice cooker, and many other buttons that i'll probably never use. It replaced the old crockpot that we've had since god knows when....
Instant Pot is the most popular brand. Too bad the Christmas sales are probably over.

Just checked Amazon and they have the 8 quart Instant Pot on sale for $199.95. Not the best price I've seen for it but not bad.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07588SJHN/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_dl_ZQBJ8NBZN28KYBQM0TG2

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car

This is why I say the instapot... pressure cooker, rice maker, slow cooker, soup pot, the thing makes it all. Worth every penny. Cry once something something.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
This is why I say the instapot... pressure cooker, rice maker, slow cooker, soup pot, the thing makes it all. Worth every penny. Cry once something something.
Maybe you can pass out some gift cards when you see broke people grocery shopping. :ROFLMAO: