GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Got my new MKV GTI

Steve Payne

Passed Driver's Ed
How long did you have to wait for yours? My 12 weeks is up tomorrow and following a call to VW Camberley dealer he told me its built just awaiting shipment and will be a further 3 weeks. He did not seem too bothered about delay - well suppose he would not be - not like me!!!!! When asked what the problem was he said DSG gearboxes are in short supply. Ive heard this before however just wondered if others had experienced the same problems? Dealer said that mine was one of last built with DSG before supplies dried up - now they are quoting approx 5 months for DSG ordered cars? I honestly dont know whether to believe this. Im getting very bored of waiting and really hope this car is worth it!

T23 TSG

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
How long did you have to wait for yours? My 12 weeks is up tomorrow and following a call to VW Camberley dealer he told me its built just awaiting shipment and will be a further 3 weeks. He did not seem too bothered about delay - well suppose he would not be - not like me!!!!! When asked what the problem was he said DSG gearboxes are in short supply. Ive heard this before however just wondered if others had experienced the same problems? Dealer said that mine was one of last built with DSG before supplies dried up - now they are quoting approx 5 months for DSG ordered cars? I honestly dont know whether to believe this. Im getting very bored of waiting and really hope this car is worth it!

Hi Steve,

I ordered mine sometime in June I think. The only reason why I had to wait so long was because of the next shipment dates because I wanted the last 6 plate (56). But they did tell me 12-16 weeks wait. All I can say well worth the wait (Better than my R32 IMO).

Ring the dealer and hassel as much as u can and make sure that u get some free things e.g. oil, GTi Jacket (which I got :p)

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Not a fan of Martin's in Camberly... my brother got his Polo there and aftersales he found were pretty rubbish.
DSG though has always been in extremely short supply - construction of the boxes is complicated, but trust me it's well worth it!
T23 - nice car mate. Haven't seen too many CW ones around in the UK. Have fun and watch out for the rozzers!

Steve Payne

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes cmdrfire I agree Im not a fan of Martin's either. I think the problem seems to be that as there are so many cars being sold from the stealership that - well - they just dont seem too bothered. Every time I go in someone else is signing paperwork for their new purchase. Oh well perhaps Im just being a grumpy git as I have to wait another 3 weeks :-(

T23 - nice comment about trying to get some free stuff - I will try but wont hold my breath.

I just want the car ... I will try not to fiddle with it but I can see a few subtle mods being done. Looking to upgrade the Sat Nav to a TV/DVD (spoken with car audio places who say it should be possible I just need to provide model number - once again Stealership could not help saying we will have to wait for delivery!). I also questioned all of the changes to spec on website some time ago - I had the feeling that they knew exactly what I was talking about but played dumb. I agree with what others have said about it possibly being the anniversary spec. On a plus point Martin's have said that they will provide me with a magazine of approved tuning upgrades when I pick the car up - will be interested to see what they include. Does anyone else have any experience with non Warrenty Busting Tuning upgrades?

By the way - nice cars both of you - blue is rare and white is a brave choice but damm looks good. Ive gone for boring black ... I know not very brave!

cmdrfire

I just want the car ... I will try not to fiddle with it but I can see a few subtle mods being done. Looking to upgrade the Sat Nav to a TV/DVD (spoken with car audio places who say it should be possible I just need to provide model number - once again Stealership could not help saying we will have to wait for delivery!). I also questioned all of the changes to spec on website some time ago - I had the feeling that they knew exactly what I was talking about but played dumb. I agree with what others have said about it possibly being the anniversary spec. On a plus point Martin's have said that they will provide me with a magazine of approved tuning upgrades when I pick the car up - will be interested to see what they include. Does anyone else have any experience with non Warrenty Busting Tuning upgrades?

It's easy enough to upgrade the Satnav to TV/DVD - just get a DVD player with a built in TV tuner or whatever in the back and connect it to the A/V of the Satnav. Not something I've done myself, but I've heard it's not hard and works well, and all the programming is already in place a tuner... surprised VW don't offer one as an option TBH.

Don't believe them about "approved" tuner upgrades - I had heard the same thing and when I asked my friend at EuroCanterbury about it (he's the parts and warranty manager) he said that there is no tuner in the UK who is VWUK approved. Having said that though, there are certain tuners who are unoffically "preferred" (Oettingger because of their leet German connection and Superchips because it's basically an Oettingger remap - plus they do the VW racing cars). I've had a Superchips remap now for awhile and haven't had any trouble with the warranty. If Martin's are now offering a magazine of tuner upgrades... well, this is an interesting development and I have a feeling that both my friend and that Milton Keynes will be very interested in looking at it! Might pop by and investigate myself :wink:

newtogolf

someone in the dealership told me that R32 DSGs are very rare. so i spose that would explain the whole DSG thing taking ages.

Steve Payne

Passed Driver's Ed
Picked up the GTI on Saturday. All very exciting and it seems a really good car. Still getting 100% used to the DSG but it does seem good - and plenty of poke too even though im 'trying' to run it in. Just one small - well maybe not so small issue. On Sunday I noticed a small dent near the drivers door handle which was obviously like that upon delivery because you could see where someone at VW had tried to do some work on it due to some dulling of paintwork around it when you look closely. Am about to contact the dealer to get them to sort it out - not quite sure what will be required but I want it perfect. Slightly annoying that a brand new nearly £25k car comes dented - and VW must have known! Shame I did not spot it on collection.