GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf-V Aftermarket Suspension Guide

Baner

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MKV GTI
how to i get to the rear strut hat? Under the plastic in the back?

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
you ever go to those meets ever tuesday in schaumburg?

I went to the first few, and last weeks since I had the 4th off. I also go to the CVO meets at the Schaumburg Portillos on Fridays; make it to most of those.

I think I'm pulling my HPFP tonight to ship it to APR, so I probably won't be going out this week.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
On a side note:

Volkswagen also sell complete suspension kits:

http://www.volkswagen-zubehoer-shop.de/shop/index.php?cat=c137

('Komplettfahrwerk')

Yes, these are DG springs paired with dampers !!

I'd still prefer DGs + Bilstein though. :wink:

And here you can clearly read Mk.V DGs are not only developed for the 2.5
but also for the 2.0 TFSI:

http://www.volkswagen-zubehoer-shop...-25-30-mm--max--VA-1050-1090-kg-Achslast.html

http://www.volkswagen-zubehoer-shop...-25-30-mm--max--VA-1000-1030-kg-Achslast.html

http://www.volkswagen-zubehoer-shop...5-30-mm--max--VA-1040-HA-930-kg-Achslast.html

Don't care about German language, just read weight, engine type and part numbers.

GTI4John74

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Before:

After: VMAXX XXtreme coilover with 20 dampening settings

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
If someone likes to raise rear just less than half an inch
I'd recommend this Audi TT ruber (non S-Line):

Nr 4:

1K0 512 149 B - TT S-Line/GTI/Golf/A3 etc.

8J0 512 149 - Audi TT (non S-Line) - ~ 7.5 mm thicker

bit of a trip

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 Rabbit
how long will ur stock struts last on eibach sportlines?

the ride will suck anyways with the stock dampers & the Sportlines

How many miles do you have on your car Tphilho? Struts with 80k on them wont survive very long, but 30k may last longer.

But as snobrdrdan said, the ride will suck. Stock struts compression/rebound dampening is out of its normal operating position (lower, always slightly compressed), and a stiffer or softer spring rate will cause the valving to react poorly.
An adjustable set of struts/shocks is great because you can dial in the dampening to compliment the spring, instead of causing ride problems.

But yeah, stock struts won't last too long. Though, to play devils advocate with myself, I've seen posts on here with people claiming to have run stock struts and lowered springs for 10-20k miles with no problem; though, they weren't the 2" drop springs, always more conservative drops.

GTIF

Leadfoot
Resurrecting an old thread, but here goes. I recently bought an 07 GTI Fahrenheit, with what they call the European sport-tuned suspension package. I don't know how this differs from stock GTI, but I want to lower it just a bit. I got a good deal on some OEM springs from an 09 GTI, claiming to lower an earlier MK5 by about an inch and still keep stock suspension characteristics.

Does anyone know any more detailed information on this? Are these springs the same as what I already have? I heard the later (TSI) GTIs all came with the European sport-tuned suspension, but I can't verify that. Thanks in advance for any info.

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
Resurrecting an old thread, but here goes. I recently bought an 07 GTI Fahrenheit, with what they call the European sport-tuned suspension package. I don't know how this differs from stock GTI, but I want to lower it just a bit. I got a good deal on some OEM springs from an 09 GTI, claiming to lower an earlier MK5 by about an inch and still keep stock suspension characteristics.

Does anyone know any more detailed information on this? Are these springs the same as what I already have? I heard the later (TSI) GTIs all came with the European sport-tuned suspension, but I can't verify that. Thanks in advance for any info.

06-07 GTI are have different spring and are about 1/2" higher. Any 08 or 09 GTI will have these springs. Not sure how they are different than the Euro sport tuned ones you speak of.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1

All US spec Fahrenheit's had the 2006/2007 US spec springs (AKA God damn minivan ride height). In 2008, US spec GTI's got the Euro springs. They're not an inch lower, but 0.6" lower all around. If you're doing those, you honestly may as well get new Bilstein or Koni shocks, strut mounts and bearings, etc. How many miles?

wronghand

Passed Driver's Ed
All US spec Fahrenheit's had the 2006/2007 US spec springs (AKA God damn minivan ride height). In 2008, US spec GTI's got the Euro springs. They're not an inch lower, but 0.6" lower all around. If you're doing those, you honestly may as well get new Bilstein or Koni shocks, strut mounts and bearings, etc. How many miles?

Non of the US model year got Euro springs, which will not meet the US curb height requirement. 06-07 is the highest, It was lowered a bit starting 08. But my early built 08 front use the same 07 springs, only rear was lowered. Looks awkward.

Euro height is about the same as the DG springs. about 3/4" lower than US.