GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf-V Aftermarket Suspension Guide

PolakRidingAGerman

The Polish Prince
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
Eibach Pro-Kit:
Had a set Eibach springs fitted today at Centreline Suspension in Melbourne (Australia). These guys were great in their consultation to make sure I got the set-up I wanted. Lower but with everyday practicality. I think I got the right result. Centreline are experts in race-car set-ups and were very careful to make sure my car was looked after. (Thanks Chris!!!)

Before then After....
View attachment 72119

Hey man looks good- I also got Eibach Pro-Kit springs put on mine the other day... BUT it looks like your ride was sitting below stock height to begin with.. no? are those OEM sport springs on there before?

Here's my before and after:
[/url]
Summer 2011 008 by Polskatomek, on Flickr[/IMG]
[/url]
Summer 2011 013 by Polskatomek, on Flickr[/IMG]

The second one's a crappy iPhone pic, but you get the idea.
My question is: has anyone had any experience driving with this setup in the winter?? (Pro-kit springs, stock shocks). I live in Eastern Canada, and I'm worried that I may run into some problems (snow snow snow). To be honest, I really wasn't anticipating the Eibachs would drop the car this much.. seems to be more than the advertised 1-1.2"...
thoughts? input?
thanks in advance

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
I've driven my car with H&R Super Sports and cupkit struts through 6+ inches of snow before. It's a 2" drop. This year will be interesting now that I have the Votex lip. I'd take it off, but I don't have the OEM stock one anymore, and it's sort of a pain anyhow. I'm just praying I can avoid those ice chunks that drop off cars.

Definitely invest in winter tires if you don't already have them though. I got stuck more on the factory all seasons on stock 06 ride height than I have lowered 2" with winter tires. Sure, it's not going to go through 12" of snow (I tried in a parking lot once haha), but neither is stock suspension. Think about it. The car is bottoming out on snow if there's anything more than 6" regardless of ride height.

And my car sits lower than that I'd say.

This is how my car sits. 17x8 wheels with 225/45 tires. It's about 24.3" fender to ground, measuring from the center of the edge of the fender to the ground.

Edit: Maybe it's about the same height wheel gap wise, just the 17's may make it sit slightly lower to the ground i.e. the overall diameter is less than the Huffs.

Attachments

• d287b152.jpg
    d287b152.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 6,328

ik1015

beeee patient ^^
Car(s)
GLI
The Bruce,

What sets up for your Sachs? Do you have perches in rear spring?
Sachs can go low front, but rear is not.
Here is mine... I think 13 threads left in front and no perches in rear.
IMG_7086-1.jpg

PolakRidingAGerman

The Polish Prince
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
I've driven my car with H&R Super Sports and cupkit struts through 6+ inches of snow before. It's a 2" drop. This year will be interesting now that I have the Votex lip. I'd take it off, but I don't have the OEM stock one anymore, and it's sort of a pain anyhow. I'm just praying I can avoid those ice chunks that drop off cars.

Definitely invest in winter tires if you don't already have them though. I got stuck more on the factory all seasons on stock 06 ride height than I have lowered 2" with winter tires. Sure, it's not going to go through 12" of snow (I tried in a parking lot once haha), but neither is stock suspension. Think about it. The car is bottoming out on snow if there's anything more than 6" regardless of ride height.

And my car sits lower than that I'd say.

This is how my car sits. 17x8 wheels with 225/45 tires. It's about 24.3" fender to ground, measuring from the center of the edge of the fender to the ground.

Edit: Maybe it's about the same height wheel gap wise, just the 17's may make it sit slightly lower to the ground i.e. the overall diameter is less than the Huffs.

Makes sense, thanks for that. Made me feel a lot better about getting my lowers painted in a few weeks too :thumbsup:

Miked1332

Car(s)
MKV GTI 2DR
All I know is that as soon as I tried putting my springs on, I was in for a surprise with all the tools you have to have. You need a 12 point triple square male socket, an impact wrench is a must, 27mm, 21mm, 18mm, 16mm, 13mm, 10mm sockets and wrenches. A rubber mallet, hydraulic jack and jack stands, a strut spreader tool or to save time and money get a crow bar, WD40, spring compressors, and a lot of elbow grease, this is at least a 5-6 hour job. Just make sure you have all these tools listed before you start or it will be a LOT longer. These aren't Hondas. Theyre volkswagens and they are built like tanks and built specifically NOT to be messed with by the consumer. But with tons of patience and tools. Putting suspension in can be soothing.

16whitemk7

Another Addict
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE 6mt
Ok so after reading this whole thread I like the idea of the H&R Sport Cup Kit and the Koni Shocks with H&R SS. Now would I be cambering with either one of these set ups? If so, how much more or less? I just want to know before i do choose a set up.

Thanks in advance!

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
I think the sport cup kit uses super sport springs, and since shocks don't relate to ride height, the suspension specs will be the same. I think there's a little more negative camber on my car with the super sports, mostly in the rear, but how much, I'm not sure. When you lower our cars, you get more negative camber. A 2" drop isn't too much negative camber though. My tires wear pretty evenly, and I drive my car hard.

16whitemk7

Another Addict
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE 6mt
Thanks! :thumbsup:

Now I just have to save up

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Any springs available other than DG that drop the car less than an inch??

DG are gonna be your best bet.
They're linear & work perfectly with the factory dampers while giving a OEM ride still....all with the factory warranty still

The H&R OE Sports might be another option (if available for the Jetta)

Jokerbunny

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
anyone running a neuspeed cup kit with the STR.T koni's on a rabbit, or hell even a gti? Want to know if its a good set up, how is the ride, stance etc.