GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf-V Aftermarket Suspension Guide

coombs

Passed Driver's Ed
Well all 3 suspensions are good. I'm not sure if this is true, but the Koni shock combo may ride slightly softer than the H&R cupkit, so that may appeal to you if you're not racing. But, my H&R cupkit with the SS springs is very tolerable, even on crappy roads in the winter.

Well thanks for the tips. I just need to make a decision and pull the trigger, like you said I think all 3 set ups will be good.

Do you or anyone else know the warranties included on the H&R cup kits and the Konis? I think the Konis used to be life time. Is this still the case? And that H&R springs I thought I read were life time as well, but how about their shocks?

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
You know I'm not sure. They could indeed be lifetime. I've had my cupkit since 25k and I'm at 85k now. I did take them off last winter so take about 10k off, but the shocks have easily 50k on them still. And the springs have about 60k on them I'd say, because I bought them off one of my buddies because I was sick of the old forward rake the 2.2" F, 1.6" R springs gave me.

coombs

Passed Driver's Ed
You know I'm not sure. They could indeed be lifetime. I've had my cupkit since 25k and I'm at 85k now. I did take them off last winter so take about 10k off, but the shocks have easily 50k on them still. And the springs have about 60k on them I'd say, because I bought them off one of my buddies because I was sick of the old forward rake the 2.2" F, 1.6" R springs gave me.

I hear yea. I'm glad they fixed that rake set up they used to have. I prefer the same all around.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
I couldn't find any specific information on their site, but searching Google, I found that the warranty on their coilovers is 1 year. So I imagine that's the same for their other products, and I don't know how many miles. 12k is my guess.

SilvaGTI

Somebody stop me
Car(s)
Red Golf GTI Mk5
Eibach Pro-Kit

Eibach Pro-Kit:
Had a set Eibach springs fitted today at Centreline Suspension in Melbourne (Australia). These guys were great in their consultation to make sure I got the set-up I wanted. Lower but with everyday practicality. I think I got the right result. Centreline are experts in race-car set-ups and were very careful to make sure my car was looked after. (Thanks Chris!!!)

Before then After....
IMG_1726.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1763.jpg
    IMG_1763.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 8,451

sullwe

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'07 GTI
Eibach Pro-Kit:
Had a set Eibach springs fitted today at Centreline Suspension in Melbourne (Australia). These guys were great in their consultation to make sure I got the set-up I wanted. Lower but with everyday practicality. I think I got the right result. Centreline are experts in race-car set-ups and were very careful to make sure my car was looked after. (Thanks Chris!!!)

Before then After....
View attachment 72119

how much did you drop?

SilvaGTI

Somebody stop me
Car(s)
Red Golf GTI Mk5
I dropped about 3/4 inch. 15mm in metric terms. It's a good everyday rode height. If you want the real dropped look the Eibach Sportline springs are the go. They were just too low for my situation.

GtiMkvF203

I think Eibach pics are on coil's. Every mkv I've seen on Eib. sportline springs sits a little high in the front. The pic is when I was on them, that's why I switched to H&R s/s springs. Eibach ad's the S/L springs to drop .2" (almost 1/4") more in the front, but the drop is even.

In this picture are you running the VMR 710s? If you are what was the wheel/tire specs and did you every rub with people in your car on the eibach sport lines?

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
In this picture are you running the VMR 710s? If you are what was the wheel/tire specs and did you every rub with people in your car on the eibach sport lines?

They look like the 710's. Assuming they're 18" (they look it), they're 18x8.5. They're offered in 35 or 45mm offset in 5x112 application. I'm going to guess those are 45mm as 35 would be quite a bit more aggressive. I had 18x8 ET45 wheels with 225/40/18 tires a few years ago on my old cupkit suspension. It was 2.2" lowered up front and 1.6" in the rear. I still have the same struts from that cupkit, but now I've got H&R super sport springs, which claim 1.9" all around for 2006/2007 pre-Euro ride height (same as your Fahrenheit). Honestly, I think it's more like 2" because when I measured my front on the 18's compared to my buddies with SS springs and the same size tire, it was identical when I had my old 2.2" front springs. So it's closer to 2.2", unless those springs were 1.9". I'm getting too technical though.

Anyhow, the Sport Lines have about the same drop as the super sports. I imagine being 8.5" wide at 45mm offset, you may rub a little, especially with people. Maybe go with a 215/40/18 tire? The fronts will probably be fine as long as you do the fender screw mod. Maybe slight rolling. The rears are going to be trickier if you do rub as you can't roll them. You have to have a bodyshop do the work to pull them. Do you drive aggressively? Your best bet is to go with a slightly narrower tire if you're concerned.

http://www.velocitymotoring.com/wheels_v710.html

GtiMkvF203

Yeah i planned on giving a little tire stretch and going with the narrower tire. I do drive aggressive at times (when i get in my mood). Like i said my biggest problem is having people in the car. But with the looks of the car up there, looks like the tire is 45mm thickness and i will also be going thinner than that. What i am going to do first is install the springs and keep the stock rims and then purchase the rim and tire after accordingly to how it sits. But thanks for all the info. Really help

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
Here's mine on Sachs Performance Coilovers...

Hey fellas, here's a thread I started when I originally got them...

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52666

ZF Sachs is absolutely massive, they make OEM dampers/clutches for tons of manufacturers (like VW), and they also have a performance arm (Sachs Race Engineering) which make stuff for aftermarket and all the way to Touring Car series, 24h Le Mans, WRC, Formula 1 etc.

I was sold by the quality and adjustablilty of these coilovers, you can see my review in the thread link above. Though, they're not for someone looking to slam their ride - the pic I posted is as low as the rear will go (collars have been removed), the front can go about 20mm lower. Not that I want to go lower, really happy with the stance now... and the ride quality. :thumbup:

Probably never heard of them because they hadn't been released in the US until about 4 months ago through TC Kline Racing. Apparently these guys are the shit, definitely charging for it though.

Here's a link to the Sachs Race Engineering website, and some pics I took when I got them...
http://www.zf.com/corporate/en/comp...rain_suspension_components/zf_sre/zf_sre.html

:thumbsup: :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I run the SACHS PERFORMANCE COILOVER as well:

Remember Ferrari F1, Volkswagen Motorsport and many others also run Sachs: :wink:

http://www.sachsrace.de/

http://www.sachsrace.de/sachs-racing-produktlinie/racing-daempfersystem-rds/index.html

http://www.sachsperformance.com/sachs-race-engineering-gewindefahrwerke/sportfahrwerk-vw/index.html