GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf-V Aftermarket Suspension Guide

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Cup Kit is probably what you're looking for....look at H&R

A separate shock & spring setup would cost more money.

But a lot of people run the Koni FSD's with either Eibach Pro-Kit springs or the Neuspeed Sport Springs

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
If you're looking for a decent handling suspension with a 1.5" drop, H&R sport/race springs with Bilstein sport shocks will probably be a little better than an H&R cupkit. Though I've autox'd on my H&R cupkit many times, now I have supersport springs which are technically too low to AX with (affects geometry of suspension quite a bit). You can see how low I am in the signature picture. It's a 2" drop from 06/07 height, about 1.3" drop from your 09 height.

Now the H&R cupkit probably will ride better in the winter than Bilstein Sport shocks with H&R springs, but there are sacrifices to make. Both will be much stiffer than stock in the winter since the fluid in the shocks gets thick and the roads get even more crappy. Maybe the roads in Calgary are better than the roads in Chicagoland area.

kold_gti

Car(s)
09 BMP GTI
yeah the winter roads in calgary are garbage at best, it'll be parked in the garage for winter and i'll buy another beater (had an 89 scirocco last winter :) )

is there any spring/shock combos that will tuck with the 18" huffs? i just don't think 1.3" drop will satisfy me visually haha...

im not against coils, but i don't wanna spend an arm and a leg on suspension as its not being tracked.

if i could get a really good deal on coils i would pick up a set...

anyone think $800 is too much for a used set of FK silverlines (unsure of how many km's)

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
yeah the winter roads in calgary are garbage at best, it'll be parked in the garage for winter and i'll buy another beater (had an 89 scirocco last winter :) )

is there any spring/shock combos that will tuck with the 18" huffs? i just don't think 1.3" drop will satisfy me visually haha...

im not against coils, but i don't wanna spend an arm and a leg on suspension as its not being tracked.

if i could get a really good deal on coils i would pick up a set...

anyone think $800 is too much for a used set of FK silverlines (unsure of how many km's)

Honestly if you want to tuck 18's, springs aren't going to do it. They'll be close, but still .3-.5" off. My super sports sit pretty even but I can get a finger or two in between the fender and the tire. That's with 225/45/17's on the stock Classix. Won't be much different with a 225/40/18 though. Eibach has the sportlines that are also a ~2" drop (~1.3" for 08/09's), and Vogtland has 50mm springs that are about the same as the super sports and sportlines. They also offer a 60mm which is slightly lower, but still not tucking low I don't think.

First picture is on the Classix obviously. The other two are 17x8 MSW Type 15's 17x8 ET42 with a 235/40/17. Keep in mind the last two pictures look higher in the back because I have none of the spare tire stuff in the back or the tire itself (~60 lbs) for autox.

Attachments

• At Work 2.jpg
    At Work 2.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 2,972
  • Autox 4-11-10 #2.jpg
    Autox 4-11-10 #2.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 3,053
  • Autox 4-11-10 #6.jpg
    Autox 4-11-10 #6.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 2,993

gtboost

Drag Racing Champion
I just installed supersports on my gti. I've got the stock 17's on right now but I still have a ~.5 inch of gap. I don't think they will settle enough to tuck. I may just eventually get coils to get a little tuck. Ride on the supersports is very good. It feels like stock but I can tell it handles a decent amount better

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Yup....Koni's with H&R SuperSports

They go low & will tuck....I've seen it...a local guy that I sold my exhaust to had this setup :thumbsup:

With a few hundred pounds in the car (4 wheels, a jack, etc. for autox), it will tuck Classix. Otherwise, as gtboost said, I have about .5" of gap as well. 18's are about the same. My buddy had the super sports I'm on right now with Huffs and it didn't tuck them. Looks good, but not tuckage.

BTW, FWIW, shocks don't matter when dealing with ride height. You could have super sports with no shocks (if that was possible) and it'd still be the same height. Just no damping.

I just installed supersports on my gti. I've got the stock 17's on right now but I still have a ~.5 inch of gap. I don't think they will settle enough to tuck. I may just eventually get coils to get a little tuck. Ride on the supersports is very good. It feels like stock but I can tell it handles a decent amount better

:thumbsup: Though they are quite a bit stiffer than stock suspension. You'll know what I'm talking about in winter when the roads get crappy.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
BTW, FWIW, shocks don't matter when dealing with ride height. You could have super sports with no shocks (if that was possible) and it'd still be the same height. Just no damping.

I'm not gonna get into an argument or a debate, but from the right angle...it looked like his Huff's were tucked (they had snow tires on them too though).....maybe I'm just wrong.

Regardless....it's LOW!

Here's pics of his car & you be the judge then:

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Lol I wasn't trying to make it an argument. I think it just comes down to what each of our definitions of tucking tire is.

Something like this is my definition of tucking tire. But yeah, it is pretty low. Are those 19's?

vwgti2004

Hey I have a question I have a 2004 golf gti and I don't want to spend alot on lowering it What are some good lowering springs to buy?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Lol I wasn't trying to make it an argument. I think it just comes down to what each of our definitions of tucking tire is.

Something like this is my definition of tucking tire. But yeah, it is pretty low. Are those 19's?

Yeah those are VMR 19's (as far as I know)

Like I said....he had the 18" Huffs with snow tires on when he showed up at my house last year though

It looked LOW though....compared to my Sportline setup. It "LOOKED" like the Huffs were tucking...even just a hair...but maybe I'm wrong :iono:

Andro

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI/DSG
Hi guys,

I want to upgrade springs on my 2008 2 door GTI with 18' Huffs. From what read on this thread if I go with Neuspeed Sport or Eibach Pro I can keep my stock shocks. I don't want to go too low, this a daily driver, just want to remove a bit of wheel gap. I have seen some shots of Neuspeed sport on GTI and I like it. Haven't seen too many on Eibach Pro yet. Which of these springs are better in my scenario? Any other advices would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Carfreak226

Detailer Extraordinaire
Car(s)
2007 GTI MKV
I'm running on Eibach Sportlines, and mine's a daily driver. Gives a finger length gap all around.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Hi guys,

I want to upgrade springs on my 2008 2 door GTI with 18' Huffs. From what read on this thread if I go with Neuspeed Sport or Eibach Pro I can keep my stock shocks. I don't want to go too low, this a daily driver, just want to remove a bit of wheel gap. I have seen some shots of Neuspeed sport on GTI and I like it. Haven't seen too many on Eibach Pro yet. Which of these springs are better in my scenario? Any other advices would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

They're very similar (the end result/drop)

Eibach Pro-Kit is probably the best setup for daily driving and using the stock shocks though
Neuspeed Sports drop it just a hair lower than the Pro-Kits...literally a hair...you can barely tell

It's almost a toss up between the two

Like CarFreak said....Sportlines are nice & don't ride harsh while giving a killer drop, but they'll kill your stock dampers & the ride will get bouncy quickly.

maxgtiturbo

Banned
They're very similar (the end result/drop)

Eibach Pro-Kit is probably the best setup for daily driving and using the stock shocks though
Neuspeed Sports drop it just a hair lower than the Pro-Kits...literally a hair...you can barely tell

It's almost a toss up between the two

Like CarFreak said....Sportlines are nice & don't ride harsh while giving a killer drop, but they'll kill your stock dampers & the ride will get bouncy quickly.
not necessarily... ive been on supersports for about 40,000 miles, and my shocks are still fine...