GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R VI 2dr Manual - First Mods Please Halp

avgj0e

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey Everyone thanks for reading!

2012 Golf R 2dr Manual in Carbon Steel.
I am the only owner of the car and after 8 years of ownership (I know, I know - I've had some health issues and I had to get chemo and I'm finally getting to work!) I'm making some upgrades!

I just got and installed a few things and I'm looking for some suggestions and assistance.

Wheels & Tires: BBS Motorsports CH-R 18"x8.5" Black with polished stainless lip.
225/40R-18 BRIDGESTONE POTENZA RE980AS XL

Suspension: Bilstein PSS10 Coilover Kit Front & Back

Exhaust: I am interested in the BCS Turbo back kit, however I would very much like staggered exhaust ports. Ideally the MK7 or GTI positioned exhaust ports. I would love some suggestions!

What should I do next? I'm going to be registering my car out of state to workaround my California limitations. Ideally I'd like to have her up to 450bhp.
Thanks!

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Drive it, then drive it some more.

I'm not trying to single you out, but how would we know what mods you want? Drive the car a while, get used to how it handles, how it puts down the power, how it sounds, what the interior looks and feels like, then start changing the things that you want to improve, in the order of your personal importance.

Don't be in a huge rush to mod the car, just for the sake of it (this is how people end up with cars that look awful, because they start modding without considering how the mods will look together). Change the things that you feel should be improved, not what some nerd on the internet says should be modded.

Phur

Autocross Champion

I'm not trying to single you out, but how would we know what mods you want? Drive the car a while, get used to how it handles, how it puts down the power, how it sounds, what the interior looks and feels like, then start changing the things that you want to improve, in the order of your personal importance.

Don't be in a huge rush to mod the car, just for the sake of it (this is how people end up with cars that look awful, because they start modding without considering how the mods will look together). Change the things that you feel should be improved, not what some nerd on the internet says should be modded.
He has owned the car for 8 years, just hasn't been in the modding game.

Phur

Autocross Champion
A tune will drastically improve the performance of your car. There are many several main options, off the shelf tunes by APR, COBB, Unitronic, Integrated Engineering... Other companies start with an off the shelf but can be customized to grow with you. The one with the best reputation around here IMO is Stratified Tuning.

avgj0e

Passed Driver's Ed

I guess I should've been more specific - I've had it for 8 yrs. It has 100k mi on it. I'm looking for suggestions for the exhaust type in interested in as stated, and suggestions for Performance only, where to shop, and feedback. Aesthetics are my personal preference as you mentioned.

avgj0e

Passed Driver's Ed
A tune will drastically improve the performance of your car. There are many several main options, off the shelf tunes by APR, COBB, Unitronic, Integrated Engineering... Other companies start with an off the shelf but can be customized to grow with you. The one with the best reputation around here IMO is Stratified Tuning.
Should I consider anything stock to upgrade with a tune to ensure nothing fails/breaks/limits?

I've heard good things about Stratified. I'll check them out.

Ty

Phur

Autocross Champion
I am not that familiar with the R, I have a GTI. The ignition coils will be a weak point. The Audi R8 red top ignition coils actually fit our cars and hold up to a tune better. They are roughly the same price. And give you some extra hp (only because they are red).

Your clutch will likely be a problem as well. (I think) I know that on the GTI, the factory clutch will not hold up to more power.

avgj0e

Passed Driver's Ed
I am not that familiar with the R, I have a GTI. The ignition coils will be a weak point. The Audi R8 red top ignition coils actually fit our cars and hold up to a tune better. They are roughly the same price. And give you some extra hp (only because they are red).

Your clutch will likely be a problem as well. (I think) I know that on the GTI, the factory clutch will not hold up to more power.
Awesome. I'm going to order a set of those and look into a new clutch and flywheel.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Check out FCP Euro. They have a lifetime warranty on all of their stuff (except consumables like windshield washer fluid). You just have to send back the other part. They even offer it for oil change kits. You just have to pay the return shipping.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/page/lifetime-guarantee

Also...Pics of your car?

avgj0e

Passed Driver's Ed
Check out FCP Euro. They have a lifetime warranty on all of their stuff (except consumables like windshield washer fluid). You just have to send back the other part. They even offer it for oil change kits. You just have to pay the return shipping.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/page/lifetime-guarantee

Also...Pics of your car?
That's awesome! I'm definitely going to check it out.
I will be posting some this week! I just got the suspension and rims set. I'm hoping to find an exhaust (MK7 4 port, or GTI staggered) that will fit my R.

Phur

Autocross Champion
I honestly have no idea what you are referring to about the exhaust ports. Do you mean the exhaust tips?

Phur

Autocross Champion
You will need to buy a different rear valence to allow for the GTI exit. I know SRS TEC makes one.
1606238869254.jpeg

https://srs-tec.de/product/rear-diffuser-gtr-vw-golf-6/?lang=en

Thumper

Autocross Champion
If you are looking for 450bhp you are talking Stg3+ so some things to consider is upgrade path. If you start with Stg 1 or 2 with one vendor, if that vendor does not do Stg3 kits you will basically eventually be buying software again. Best to plan ahead there, and we are talking about some serious money.

With 100k on the clock the first, most important thing is maintenance. Have you stayed up to date on standard service? Haldex, diffs, cam follower, at 100K should do the timing belt and cam chains/tensioner. Will DEFINITELY need a clutch for that much torque and after 100k.

When you say "staggered" exhaust tips do you just mean the fact that one is on left and one on right? You said like the MK7 and GTI so that's what I am guessing. You will need a new valance to do that and get ready for some irony.......(EDIT) I know that you will need a new bumper cover as well. How do I know, because I spent forever trying to get the R center mount on my GTI LOL So did lots of people, and you have the R with the center mount.............and you want the split exhaust. Just more proof of my theory that it doesn't matter what design the factory gives us, we just like changing it. ;):) The R valance doesn't fit the GTI bumper cover and vs versus, no idea why, makes no sense.

Phur ninja posted me, didn't know about that valance, they weren't making them back in the day. Still, I love the center mount, it's unique even if it makes the rear hatch filthy. lol