GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R Rods and Pistons in a MKV GTI

clockwise33

New York Giants Fanatic
I have a line on an affordable and low mileage rod-piston set from a Golf R and I'm contemplating putting them in my MKV as a winter project. My intention would be to shore up the bottom end in order to safely get more power out of my K04, plus I'm bored and this is the type of shit that I enjoy spending my free time on. This would also be cheaper than drop in forged rods and plenty strong enough to take a maxed out K04, plus I always favor the OEM+ route to pure aftermarket.

From the information I've gathered, the block and crank part #'s are identical between the FSI GTI and Golf 6 R, so after confirming ring gap and plastigaging new big end bearings, they should be plug and play.

One thing remains unclear to me, however. How much will the compression drop from 10.5 to 9.8 affect the tuning? Will this absolutely necessitate custom tuning?

larcic

Ready to race!
I'd get a golf R tune after doing that

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I'd get a golf R tune after doing that

You'd need a golf R ecu for that, I learned that when I looking to get the IE450t kit.

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
I dropped from factory comp ratio to 9:1 no issue with tuning after I built my motor and was still ko4 for like 6 months

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

larcic

Ready to race!

clockwise33

New York Giants Fanatic
I dropped from factory comp ratio to 9:1 no issue with tuning after I built my motor and was still ko4 for like 6 months

That's good info, thanks.

So you dropped CR by 1.5 points and didn't adjust tuning and it ran OK?

I figure the only thing that should change is a decrease in timing pull, which should mean a slight power increase when on boost.

davidlau6371

As I know, MK5 GTI carry both Compression ratio for Engine code AXX in 10.5 and Engine code BWA in 10.3

It is better to not change as it need the ECU MAP match.

Golf 6R was 9.8, so it is not the same Piston can be use.

Unless you change the lower ratio (it will good for the engine) but you need custom ECU map after deno inspection, it cost very high.

This link can help you.

http://m.australiancar.reviews/GolfR-Mk6_CDLF-CDLC_Engine.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
That's good info, thanks.

So you dropped CR by 1.5 points and didn't adjust tuning and it ran OK?

I figure the only thing that should change is a decrease in timing pull, which should mean a slight power increase when on boost.
Ran just fine.