GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R North America

SupaMonks

Passed Driver's Ed
So here is one of the first reviews of the North American Golf R i could find. Motortrend isn't my favourite but they seem to like it. It looks a bit softer than the Euro R, and I didn't realize it was 'battling (according to motor trend)' against the STI's and Evo's. It will be interesting to see some future reviews for the North American spec R. What do you guys think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoecDjP2OH0&feature=feedu

Chris@RT

Banned
All EVOs are discontinued, that should make battling them a bit easier...

Last i heard mitsubishi didn't officially say its back but said that the outcry was enough that they are looking at how to keep the evo in its product line and still move forward as planned going mostly green.

SupaMonks

Passed Driver's Ed
^^^ Thats what i heard too. I honestly don't think the kind of people who are going to buy a golf R are the kind of people who are interested in either the Evo or STI. I like the Golf R alot, but the price is killer. I would be hard to convince someone to spend that kind of money on a Golf unless its REAL good. But then again, it will be a popular second hand car.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
Autoweek had a 2 page review of the 2012 Golf R in its April 4, 2011 issue.
AW quotes VW on US power ratings - 256 hp / 258 lb-ft torque (EU 267 hp).
Est $33,000. in base trim, 6mt only, 18s standard, 19s optional - EPA 24 MPG, 0-62 5.7 sec

designation_mi5

Ready to race!
$33k est.? ouch...

Still confused by the no-DSG decision since it would have made the 0-60 time a bit closer to it's "competitors" and it better fits the car's lux-sport tone.

racinrabbit

Professional Wheelman
Yeah fully loaded .:R's are going to be somewhere in the area of $41k when they hit the shores.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
$33k est.? ouch...
$33k base.
BTW the first time a US r will have a choice of 2 door or 4 door.
I am sure there will be ways to make that base $ more, like the 19" wheels, 2 door or 4 door, etc.

Still confused by the no-DSG decision since it would have made the 0-60 time a bit closer to it's "competitors" and it better fits the car's lux-sport tone.
If they offer two transmissions, they must US certify the same as two different cars - crash tests, etc.
For the limited US runs, traditionally VW has offered one tranny choice.

The US mk4 r32 was manual only and it sold out quickly with little discounting.
The US mk5 r32 was DSG only and languished,
. . the end of the lot was going for $4k under sticker.
I would have bought a mk5 r32 had it been available with a clutch pedal.
Anyway, I will try to find a way to pick up a mk6 Golf R when they become available.
Driving a stick isn't always about being faster.

designation_mi5

Ready to race!
If they offer two transmissions, they must US certify the same as two different cars - crash tests, etc.
For the limited US runs, traditionally VW has offered one tranny choice.

The US mk4 r32 was manual only and it sold out quickly with little discounting.
The US mk5 r32 was DSG only and languished,
. . the end of the lot was going for $4k under sticker.
I would have bought a mk5 r32 had it been available with a clutch pedal.
Anyway, I will try to find a way to pick up a mk6 Golf R when they become available.
Driving a stick isn't always about being faster.

I get the problem with offering two trans choices.

My problem comes with that VW has spoken a lot about how DSG is the best.
Golf R is suppose to be the "best sporting car from VW" but they're not giving it their "best" transmission and that doesn't quite add-up.

I always believed that the MKV R32 sold worse because the MK5 GTI was so good that the R wasn't worth the price premium.
I remember the MK4 R32 being able to kick the MK4 GTI's ass in every situation.

And yes, "driving stick isn't always about being faster" but if that's the case, just buy a manual GTI and go on a nice vacation. Sounds like the better deal to me.

Last edited: