GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf GTI Engine Noise

james687

Hi Folks,

Recently purchased a MK5 Golf GTI and there appears to be a slight rattle/ticking noise especially audible at idle from the engine. I've owned a MK5 GTI in the past and dont remember any ticking/rattling noise. I've recorded a video with the link below, if anyone can advise what could be the issue, that would be great. Thanks in advance.

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
How many miles/km on this engine? Shooting from the hip, it sounds louder when you got nearer to the hpfp & cam follower. Check those first. Over on the front of the engine, noisy belt tension-er, pulley clatter? Pull back the timing belt cover and spray some water down in that path and see if the clicking quiets or changes. Could be time for the timing belt kit and associated "replace the outboard front of the engine bits". If your at 145,000 km, it's time. Last but not least, could be carboned-up intake valves ticking on their respective followers. Consider that it could be a couple of different noises in concert. - Cheers! Keep us in the loop. Happy New Year!

doc280

Ready to race!
I just had the same rattle sound or very close sounding rattle sound, to yours.
The rattle could be heard at idle, however it became more pronounced between 2400 to 4000 rpms.
The cause of the rattle sound, in my case, was the cam follower, which had 17,700 miles on it.
Look at the picture below, not the failure you were probably expecting, however those pits on the cam follower surface were causing the rattle sound. ( The picture clearly shows the pits, however I can barely feel them when dragging my thumb nail over the cam follower surface.) A new cam follower completely solved my issue and I will always replace the cam follower at my 10,000 mile or one year oil change, in the future.

Attachments

• 20200109_144621.jpg
    20200109_144621.jpg
    771.9 KB · Views: 572

MagicMK

Drag Racing Champion
Hi Folks,

Recently purchased a MK5 Golf GTI and there appears to be a slight rattle/ticking noise especially audible at idle from the engine. I've owned a MK5 GTI in the past and dont remember any ticking/rattling noise. I've recorded a video with the link below, if anyone can advise what could be the issue, that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Listened to the video and it does not sound horribly bad. That said that click - click - click - click that I believe you are referencing as "ticking" could very well be the HPFP cam lobe hitting that metal follower. So, how many miles are on this car, first of all? Has there been a timing belt change, if over 120K, yet? Have you checked the oil level? Have you pulled the HPFP and examined the cam follower for any damage?