GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GOLF 5 GTI weird turbo noise and complete loss of power

Kreesan

Car(s)
Golf 5 GTI
any help would be much appreciated.

My golf 5 gti has stage two intake and map as well as stage two exhaust.

I recently went on a long trip, putting 1000km on an already 230 000km car(major service done at 225 000km). Before the trip I had a minor service done and in the process had the car plugged for a fault reading and the car read healthy with no codes coming back mechanically . After completing the long trip with no issues whatsoever I decided to visit a friend who stayed more or less 20km from me . The car performed well on the way there but on the way back , out of nowhere I lost power and heard a weird winning noise that sounded to be coming from the turbo . Not being in the safest of areas and having my girlfriend in the car I continued to drive , cautiously ofcourse keeping the car under boost as much as possible . The whinning noise would only be loud enough to hear when under even the slightest amount of boost (2500+rpm). My dump immediately went away giving me no turbo sound and no power, I crept up all hills in first and second gear driving under very little to no boost .on flat surfaces I could slowly increase speed without large amounts of boost and creep up to 100km with no weird noise (increasing speed very very slowly on a highway) .no dash lights came on and no other syptoms of bogging besides loss of power . . Before any of this the car was performing at its peak with no issues or symptoms leading up to this . Once I was in a safer area I decided to stop and have a look under the bonnet. I asked my grolfriend to give a small rev so I could hear more or less where the noise was coming from . Besides the wining noise when revved up the car sounds completely normal at idle with no other sypmtoms unless revved . When the car was revved up to about 2500(no more) I could hear the whinne and it sounded to be coming from the turbo. Not exactly sure where the sound is coming from or what is causing the weird sound as wells as loss of power. Any help would be highly appreciated, would like to broaded my knowledge before taking the car in .

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I take it you have no code reader?
Typically you'll not see a CEL unless a code is related to emissions or safety.
OK, some of the possible failures are;
DV
Turbo
boost plumbing connections at the turbo outlet
cracked or leaking N75 or its tubing leaks
boost system leak in the outlet hose

I would say FMIC leaks or intake manifold leaks, but you say it sounds to be near the turbo.
If possible, have the engine's fault codes pulled up.

Jremey

Car(s)
2009 gti
I take it you have no code reader?
Typically you'll not see a CEL unless a code is related to emissions or safety.
OK, some of the possible failures are;
DV
Turbo
boost plumbing connections at the turbo outlet
cracked or leaking N75 or its tubing leaks
boost system leak in the outlet hose

I would say FMIC leaks or intake manifold leaks, but you say it sounds to be near the turbo.
If possible, have the engine's fault codes pulled up.
I was thinking along the same lines. I had my intercooler pipe pop off a couple times and had similar sounds. Do you have a boost guage? It's a good idea to know what your normal boost levels are so you can compare them to situations like this. It may not be able to diagnose a bad turbo but at the very least you should be able to determine if you've got a boost leak or not.