GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Glove box growls at me...

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Sucks about the eye. Hope it heals fine. Keep in mind, that now if you ever need an MRI, you need to get your eyes x-rayed first to look for any minute metal particles. I had to get one years ago, when it was first discovered that the MRI magnet was strong enough to send any steel particles into the optic nerve, and blind you. I never had any metal get into my eye, but since I was once a machinist, I had to get the x-rays. If they find any metal, you have to get a CAT-scan instead.

TheTroyness

I changed a tire once...
So I'm finally getting around to changing out the growling motor, but I found two parts that might fit. One is $50 cheaper. This is the first one and I know it will fit. This is the second one but I'm not sure if it will fit or not. It has the same part number, just a different revision letter. What do you guys think? Has anyone tried the cheaper part number? Should I take a risk and try the mystery part or stick with what I know will work?

Phaeacian

Passed Driver's Ed
This. The car switches the ventilation to recirculation when you put it in reverse. That's VW's fancy engineering way to prevent exhaust gasses from entering the cabin when reversing.

I bet if you have the air on, and hit the recirculate button on and off, you'd hear the noise.

X2 (X3?). I've got the exact same problem on my 2007 Rabbit, except it's much louder than a growl--more like one of those rapid-fire air BB guns at the local fair :mad0259: The car also sometimes flips the fresh/recirc flap when you clean your windshield.

Once you take the glovebox out, you'll see exactly what is happening. I'm too lazy/cheap to fix it at the moment, so I'm thinking about just disconnecting that stupid flap motor so it stops vibrating.

What's the point of recirculating air, anyway?

TheTroyness

I changed a tire once...
I've already pulled the motor and all that. I found out the motor still turns but when it gets to the end of its range, it doesn't realize it and keeps trying to turn it. The motor turns one direction and one direction only. Then when it hits the stopper it starts making that noise. After not being able to turn for a little while and making that noise it gives up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Phaeacian

Passed Driver's Ed
FWIW, I have a solution for anyone with a horrible grinding sound coming from their recirculating air flap motor. Just above the white gears (visible after removing the glove box) is a small blue harness plug. I unplugged it, which kills the recirculating air motor and, obviously, renders the recirculating air flap useless. I manually moved the flap to outside air, where it will presumably stay until I am motivated to tear it apart and replace the motor.

I realize this isn't a fix, but it kills the grinding sound upon start/reverse. Hope this helps someone!

TheTroyness

I changed a tire once...
FWIW, I have a solution for anyone with a horrible grinding sound coming from their recirculating air flap motor. Just above the white gears (visible after removing the glove box) is a small blue harness plug. I unplugged it, which kills the recirculating air motor and, obviously, renders the recirculating air flap useless. I manually moved the flap to outside air, where it will presumably stay until I am motivated to tear it apart and replace the motor.

I realize this isn't a fix, but it kills the grinding sound upon start/reverse. Hope this helps someone!

When you turn your car on does it not try to turn and eventually start making that awful sound?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Phaeacian

Passed Driver's Ed
Correct... it seems to remove all functionality of the recirculating air flap. The plug is a PITA to remove, but it's a lot easier than ripping the dash off.

And of course, my warranty is expired.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Mine is doing everything the OP said his is doing, and I was JUST about to add this in, but you got it! Finally I know what it is haha

So did you have to replace your brower motor, haha :)