GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GLI vs GTI

BuyGerman

Ready to race!
Hello asking for a friend. I know they share the same platform. He’s leaning towards the gli but aside from the lower quality interior and price what’s actually different?
Thanks
buygerman

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
GLI has more rear legroom and overall capacity, so I believe it is a bit heavier (it is a larger car), so probably won't be as quick?

I'm not sure if it has the add-on features, like the "SE experience package" or whatever that is available for SE and up GTI (DCC, larger rear sway bar, Fender audio). In the end, it probably comes down to if they prefer a small sedan over an even smaller hatchback. GLI finally seems like a proper GLI, though.

I don't feel that the GTI is slouching for space, though--maybe if he has more than 1 kid? Then again, I grew up with a sibling and our family car was a 2 door Civic hatchback with lap belts and we survived. ...one time had to fit about 7 kids in that thing when the other car (lol: 7 kids, 2 adults--only 2 cars!) broke down on a birthday trip back from the lake house, ~2 hour drive back.

Though, bare in mind that these 2019 GTI and GLI are experiencing this stalling "feature" that also effects the DSG transmissions, if not as often as it does the manual transmissions. Long thread here about it, and it's good info to have going in before a purchase. ...I knew about it, purchased anyway, experienced many stalls, ...currently lucky enough to have a good experience with service that seems to have fixed it, so far. Others have not been so lucky.

BuyGerman

Ready to race!
Sorry you’re having issues with yours I bought a leftover 18 gti se manual for a pretty good deal on new years eve. 9k later not a single issue. Are you sure the stalling you’re experiencing isn’t related to the start stop feature located? I don’t have this feature because it wouldn’t be realistic to ever put one in a manual. I would ask to get it permanently switched off just in general but esp if you’re having stalling issues with an auto. Can’t see it being anything else atleast. How does it handle on some curvy roads? Gti can feel like a box on wheels sometimes but I make it work.

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
Sorry you’re having issues with yours I bought a leftover 18 gti se manual for a pretty good deal on new years eve. 9k later not a single issue. Are you sure the stalling you’re experiencing isn’t related to the start stop feature located? I don’t have this feature because it wouldn’t be realistic to ever put one in a manual. I would ask to get it permanently switched off just in general but esp if you’re having stalling issues with an auto. Can’t see it being anything else atleast. How does it handle on some curvy roads? Gti can feel like a box on wheels sometimes but I make it work.

6MT GTI (USA, anyway) doesn't have auto start/stop. So, that isn't it, but the behavior is very similar. Anyway it's not just me--many owners are effected by it (2019 only). It's a rabbit hole and if you are interested, go through the very long thread here about it.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51247

I mention it only because it's good to know before going in, the type of experience you want to risk. I risked it because I'm patient enough and it sounded to me like something that would be fixed soon enough. ...it will be, but it might take several more months for a definitive fix (or fixes) that work for all owners. Obviously, someone looking to buy a new ~$30k car normally wouldn't want to deal with such a problem.

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
I was unaware but think that is hideous and an expensive problem if it ever fails. I know he will like it but not for me thanks for the info.

Oh yeah, that too. I forgot about the digital cockpit and cool seats. I'm pretty much where you are with digital cockpits: even when done right and they look really, really nice and are very functional, it is still something that will absolutely break in some absurdly short amount of time.

I still like a good analog look and dependability in most things. ..I mean, phones: "digital voice" has never, ever, never been as good as analog. My clock radio was purchased in 1987 and thing is still trucking along. etc.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
sedan or hatchback.....should be an easy decision for him. HB's are more practical for two people because of huge cargo capacity, sedans make a better choice if you travel with 4 people because room for 4 and luggage. I love hatchbacks, Mrs Mud hated them until she bought one (Forester, not exactly HB but same practicality).

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
GTI has a larger hatch opening to accept larger items. The GLI has a longer "floor" with the rear seats folded down, but the trunk opening will limit what you can actually load.

The GLI has two inches longer wheelbase, which means more ride comfort and more rear legroom, if that's important to you.

The GLI is 186 lbs heavier than a GTI. That affects acceleration, but also may add to comfort/stability.

The GTI has 145 lbs of extra carrying capacity, probably tied to the lighter curb weight. The details may differ slightly on the door jamb sticker, but VW's website states that the GLI's payload capacity is 893 lbs. The meat of four passengers adds up fast, especially if they're linebackers. ;) Then add luggage and you can reach 893 lbs quickly.

The GLI has a lower drag coefficient, which should return better fuel economy.

There's more, I'm sure. But those are the obvious ones to me. I had driven Jettas exclusively for over 18 years, but prefer the Mk7 GTI styling over the Mk7 GLI. However, I must confess that the GLI wasn't an option when I was shopping. Had it been, I may have gone that direction... maybe. Now that I'm in a GTI, I don't think I could ever go back. It's far too versatile to give up!

BuyGerman

Ready to race!
GTI has a larger hatch opening to accept larger items. The GLI has a longer "floor" with the rear seats folded down, but the trunk opening will limit what you can actually load.

The GLI has two inches longer wheelbase, which means more ride comfort and more rear legroom, if that's important to you.

The GLI is 186 lbs heavier than a GTI. That affects acceleration, but also may add to comfort/stability.

The GTI has 145 lbs of extra carrying capacity, probably tied to the lighter curb weight. The details may differ slightly on the door jamb sticker, but VW's website states that the GLI's payload capacity is 893 lbs. The meat of four passengers adds up fast, especially if they're linebackers. ;) Then add luggage and you can reach 893 lbs quickly.

The GLI has a lower drag coefficient, which should return better fuel economy.

There's more, I'm sure. But those are the obvious ones to me. I had driven Jettas exclusively for over 18 years, but prefer the Mk7 GTI styling over the Mk7 GLI. However, I must confess that the GLI wasn't an option when I was shopping. Had it been, I may have gone that direction... maybe. Now that I'm in a GTI, I don't think I could ever go back. It's far too versatile to give up!

GD 186 is more than me. Did feel a little “smoother” on the drive though. But hold up you’re running stage 2?? Please tell me more about your experience with that I want to get the apr plus tune but hesitant to void the warranty so early.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Sounds like your friend needs to drive both and decide.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Sounds like your friend needs to drive both and decide.

Even though these are vehicles of same platform, a test drive would seal the deal as these vehicles are targetted towards different customers. I test drove both of these vehicles when i was in the market and zeroed in the GTI within a short time of driving a GLI.

BuyGerman

Ready to race!
Even though these are vehicles of same platform, a test drive would seal the deal as these vehicles are targetted towards different customers. I test drove both of these vehicles when i was in the market and zeroed in the GTI within a short time of driving a GLI.

He test drove both but just wanted to make sure they don’t skimp on some good stuff.