GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Glazed clutch

Car(s)
Subaru
So I moved to a place that has a steep driveway and I think over time I glazed my clutch. I'm now parking on the street but I still have a glazed clutch... Fml

So I looked up how to deglaze and one was pull up the hand brake and rev to 4k rpm and then slowly engage the clutch until rpms drop to 3750 and hold for 10secs and then let the car cool off.

Has anyone tried that? I might try it tonight. They said it might take 2 goes but it should work.

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI
That's just gonna make it worse.. heat + slipping is how it got glazed in the first place

Austin_hull

Für Die Liebe Des Autos
Car(s)
MK5 TR GTI REVO// +
So I moved to a place that has a steep driveway and I think over time I glazed my clutch. I'm now parking on the street but I still have a glazed clutch... Fml

So I looked up how to deglaze and one was pull up the hand brake and rev to 4k rpm and then slowly engage the clutch until rpms drop to 3750 and hold for 10secs and then let the car cool off.

Has anyone tried that? I might try it tonight. They said it might take 2 goes but it should work.

yeah, fuck that. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. The reality of the situation is that once it starts slipping/glazing, it's on its way out. I'd just replace it, if I were you. Now, granted, you could probably still drive around on it, but if you drive it hard, you'll end up with an even larger problem then you've got now. If you do continue to drive on it, shift often, as often as possible. Avoid rev matching. Good luck!

EDIT: Didn't you just put that clutch in, a couple months ago?? Because a glazed clutch could be one of two things: the clutch itself or the flywheel/pressure plate surfaces. If the flywheel/pressure plate are glazed over or have hot spots then clutch dumps won't do anything for the situation. I think I remember you recently installing a new clutch (flywheel?), so if they are not broken in or the clutch got glazed because it was abused too soon after install, then I could see this could potentially working...

Car(s)
Subaru
yeah, fuck that. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. The reality of the situation is that once it starts slipping/glazing, it's on its way out. I'd just replace it, if I were you. Now, granted, you could probably still drive around on it, but if you drive it hard, you'll end up with an even larger problem then you've got now. If you do continue to drive on it, shift often, as often as possible. Avoid rev matching. Good luck!

EDIT: Didn't you just put that clutch in, a couple months ago??

I've put two of the fuckers in. I've went through two in less than a year, that's why I'm thinking about trying this. I searched and I saw this same type of post on bmw, wrx, evo, and corvette forums. I know you can pull the clutch out and lightly sand on it to just nock the glaze off but I can't do that anymore cause I don't have the tools or another car to drive while the trans is out

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Yeah, I tried that whole unglazing business when I had mechanic related install issues and all is does is make it worse (SB Stage 3 Endurance). With the steep driveway, it might just be burning out your clutch faster.

Austin_hull

Für Die Liebe Des Autos
Car(s)
MK5 TR GTI REVO// +
I've put two of the fuckers in. I've went through two in less than a year, that's why I'm thinking about trying this. I searched and I saw this same type of post on bmw, wrx, evo, and corvette forums. I know you can pull the clutch out and lightly sand on it to just nock the glaze off but I can't do that anymore cause I don't have the tools or another car to drive while the trans is out

edited my post, check it out...I could see that working if the parts are new...might be worth a shot, but like you said, it seems risky to me. Again, clutch dumps are generally the cause of glazing, and with that knowledge, there aren't too many things in life where replicating what caused the problem, is the most effective way of fixing the problem.

Austin_hull

Für Die Liebe Des Autos
Car(s)
MK5 TR GTI REVO// +
What's a glaZed clutch ?

Google's a thing, but I see you're new, so I'll go easy on ya for now :thumbsup:

Basically, it is what it sounds like: Glazed friction material. The friction material is a mixture of metallic and non-metallic fibers held together with a binder. Under excess heat conditions the binder liquifies, and migrates to the surface, forming a different appearing surface of shiny binders. The coefficient of friction for the binder is less than the coefficient of friction for the metals and fibers. Commonly, this causes slipping and usually chattering.

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
Car(s)
MQB A3
Only one way to fix it. Sounds like you're trying to drive it like an OEM clutch. Can't slip these things....

Car(s)
Subaru
I'm not dumping the clutch and don't think I ever have really. It only started after pulling into the driveway over the past two months and the slip first happened last week when in 6th gear passing someone on the highway. But I've had 3 other slips since then. I'm on lunch now and the flywheel and clutch are cooled off so I might try this. It's not dumping and I'll only be letting off the clutch a tiny bit for a few seconds. Worse comes to worse, I'll have to get a new clutch regardless you know. Might as well try to save it