GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GHL TBE = P0420???

vlkswgnbgmn66

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Fahrenheit GTI #473
So as I stated in anouther thread my CEL came on last night. Took it to my buddy at the dealer and he gave me a print out and the code that was stored was P0420 - cat not efficient enough. So I called GHL and they basically told me that I need a chip because its a high-flow cat. My buddy uses high flow cats on cars all day at his muffler shop and has never had a problem using them and setting a CEL. Has anyone else experienced the same problem with their high-flow cat and no chip???:iono:

HoldDaMayo

Leaner and Meaner
Car(s)
2007 GTI UG 5 Door
there are VERY few DP's that don't cause a CEL... I think the lesson learned here is get chip'd before you do a DP or TBE.

The AWE DP or TBE doesn't cause a CEL, I know there are a few others, but being the AWE fanboy I am, I'll only mention AWE... AWE...

PS... AWE.

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
for a car with just a tbe, and otherwise stock, you need to either get a spacer like the wayne angle block, or buy certain cats that don't throw a CEL with an otherwise stock car.

this is also discussed in my sig.

vlkswgnbgmn66

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Fahrenheit GTI #473

vlkswgnbgmn66

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Fahrenheit GTI #473
Found out today that the auto-zone fix won't work. Mk4 O2 sensors are smaller(the tip). Ours would have to be drilled out to approximately 9/16" which doesn't work with those "help" parts cause the wall get too thin and breaks. Now I gotta get ahold of wayne and see if he makes a version for our cars...

rsquadGTi

Most Hated Hater...
Car(s)
W204 C63/Porsche 911
Have the GHL TBE... After 2 months of running the car the CEL came on. Same code as you. Reset it with the Vag-Com and haven't' seen it since. I'm not chipped.... yet.

vlkswgnbgmn66

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Fahrenheit GTI #473
Yeah I'm gonna make one like Dan's. I don't wanna chip it just yet (funds and other things I wanna do first) I have the parts and tools. Plus that thing looks sweet and like it will do the job perfectly!!!:bow:

rsquadGTi

Most Hated Hater...
Car(s)
W204 C63/Porsche 911
you could use an o2L

Hi Dan,

Will there be any adverse effects of fooling the rear O2 sensor? Get any lean or rich condition? I was told in some rare cases this could occur?