GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

General APR Discussion.

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
Who is in charge of developing the cosbybot?

Sent from an abacus

Bender1

Banned
ANTI DRONE TECHNOLOGY

crew219

Banned
Release of Liability to purchase APR software

1/8/2015, APR released to its distributor network a new process when selling APR software. Essentially the customer has to agree to a release of liability in order to purchase APR software. Furthermore, the release doesn't simply specify APR software, but encompasses all APR products. I have attached screenshots of the email below.

Also, I've used OCR to copy the text from the "Turbo disclaimer" image APR provided. I have bolded phrases which I feel are particularly relevant

APR said:
Turbo Disclaimer

Enhancing the performance of a vehicle through hardware or software modifications sold by APR, LLC will increase the stresses and wear placed on the vehicle's engine, ancillary parts and components and drivetrain. This in turn may accelerate their normal wear and need for service and replacement and decrease their longevity. This is true even for versions of software that are lower output because such lower output versions create less stresses than the high output versions but still increase the stresses relative to factory settings.

Additionally, on August 5, 2014, Audi released a Technical Service Bulletin (21E7 UPDATE) stating that on A3 vehicles manufactured during a certain period "the turbocharger may fail causing the MIL to illuminate." The turbochargers referenced in this bulletin are the same as or similar to those utilized on other vehicles manufactured by the Volkswagen Auto Group (VAG). The increased stresses placed on the vehicle's engine, ancillary parts and components and drivetrain by APR, LLC hardware or software (including both low and high output versions) may also exacerbate any inherent design or production flaws in these turbochargers, accelerate their failure and thereby result in other damage.

APR, LLC makes no claims, promises or guarantees regarding the effects any of its products have on the longevity of the engines, ancillary parts and components or drivetrains of customer vehicles.

The customer understands that installing APR, LLC products on such vehicles could void the manufacturer's or other third party warranty should the turbocharger or any other part covered by the warranty fail. The customer further understands and agrees that APR, LLC expressly disclaims and shall have no liability for any damages of any kind related to vehicle failures or a manufacturer or third party ref using to honor a warranty. In furtherance and not in limitation of the foregoing, APR, LLC EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS.

Regarding the aforementioned circumstances, access to APR, LLC software is expressly conditioned upon acceptance of all terms and conditions contained in this agreement. If you accept the foregoing terms and conditions, please indicate your agreement by clicking the link below labeled "I ACCEPT."

I ACCEPT

While they reference the MK7 GTI turbo failures as the reasoning for the change, the waiver seems to encompass all APR software and is not specific to the MK7 files, especially as indicated by example shown with a 2010 Tiguan

As far as I know, no other company requires a release of liability waiver in order to purchase software.

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion
Not surprising, VW needs to get their act together with their turbos on the MK7. APR's stage 1 file does seem overly aggressive with concerns to longterm reliability imo, even if the stock turbos weren't popping like grapes on unmodified MK7's.

crew219

Banned
Not surprising, VW needs to get their act together with their turbos on the MK7. APR's stage 1 file does seem overly aggressive with concerns to longterm reliability imo, even if the stock turbos weren't popping like grapes on unmodified MK7's.

Surely VW turbos for the MK7 have nothing to do with the rest of the APR product line... ;)

Seems like a great excuse for them to get customers to absolve APR of liability for all their product offerings.

GOODS

Ready to race!
^ I would also like to know this. So close to selling my APR stuff and going back to stock.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
i just don't understand how such a widespread problem isn't discovered in their "testing." same thing with our stock crappy clutches. they release all of their stuff first, but always somehow miss common failures in the car and don't compensate for it with their hardware/software or make the buyer aware of what they're getting into. of course after everyone struggles with it, they develop their own remedy and begin advertising it like they are the ones that found out the issue existed.

crew219

Banned
What performance mod companies DO take responsibility for their products?

If you tune your car and blow it up, AFAIK you're on your own no matter who wrote the software.

That's a good question.

What should be noted is that in accepting the APR release, you are accepting that, "APR, LLC expressly disclaims and shall have no liability for any damages of any kind related to vehicle failures"

Compare this to GIAC's policy.

"GIAC’s liability is limited to the original purchase price of the merchandise."

http://www.giacusa.com/sales/sales_info.php

So with APR you get nothing. With GIAC they simply hold their liability to whatever you paid them.

Unitronic doesn't force any release of liability on its customers as indicated by their website.
http://www.unitronic-chipped.com/genuine-product

REVO's website is pretty vague, perhaps due to the global nature of the website.

Dave

crew219

Banned

dasauto0108

Go Kart Champion

crew219

Banned

golftdibrad

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'10 GTI, miata, vers
this thread