GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gears will not select at all

ashleydwsmith

Car(s)
2006 1.6fsi
Hi there, we have an ‘06 1.6fsi in the uk. Car has suddenly decided it doesn’t want to change gear at all. Not even if it’s off with clutch down anything.
I’ve checked the linkages and they seem all intact, but there is minimal movement at the linkage mechanism.
I’ve read that it’s unlikely to be clutch as it won’t select gears at all. But any other tips.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Find yourself the instruction on how to remove cables from transmission selector on trans and see if the shifter can than move freely or not in the car. If it can the issue is on the trans side, see if you can move gear selector by hand or not. Keep in mind that the plastic pin on the trans side must not be in locked position when trying to move the trans through the gears or it will break internally.

Hi there, we have an ‘06 1.6fsi in the uk. Car has suddenly decided it doesn’t want to change gear at all. Not even if it’s off with clutch down anything.
I’ve checked the linkages and they seem all intact, but there is minimal movement at the linkage mechanism.
I’ve read that it’s unlikely to be clutch as it won’t select gears at all. But any other tips.

ashleydwsmith

Car(s)
2006 1.6fsi
Find yourself the instruction on how to remove cables from transmission selector on trans and see if the shifter can than move freely or not in the car. If it can the issue is on the trans side, see if you can move gear selector by hand or not. Keep in mind that the plastic pin on the trans side must not be in locked position when trying to move the trans through the gears or it will break internally.
Update : it now selects all gears but first.