GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Future Value of Money

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Goes to show you how the government manipulates the value of the US dollar with their artificially low inflation figures.

Anyone who's older always heard cars are a bargain compared to years ago. Well, it was true at least before Bush 41.

I used what my new Trans Am listed for in 1978 with every option except automatic and T-tops. If you could buy a comparable new Camaro SS for what this calculator shows it would be a huge bargain. About 45% less.

http://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/inflation.php?amount=6750&year=1978

Last edited:

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
And it seems that the government's price inflation calculations often omit selected categories like food and fuels, as if these categories are of minor consequence.

As I plan my retirement, I apply a long term annual inflation rate in excess of what I see applied in popular calculations. I figure it's best to recognize the eroding power of inflation and to also apply a conservative estimate on investment returns. It's amazing how tiny annual changes compound into large amounts as the years go by.

SpoonKiller

1984 GTI MSRP was $8350 which is $19,900 using that calculator.
2017 base GTI MSRP is $25,595. 25% price difference for all the extra technology in the 2017 doesn't seem that far off. You could get a Fiesta ST for $21,140 MSRP.