GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Future Clubsport?

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Even though we did not get the Clubsport I think it was an interesting thing VW did. I know the intent was for the 40th but do you think VW will do other higher end performance models in the Golf line? I have seen the videos of the 400 so know they have looked at other options.
I wish they would not just do special builds for Europe markets only and bring some to this side. I know with Golf production going back to Germany it becomes even easier to coordinate.

Do you think the next Clubsport type would be a special R?

I think the special cars are good for the Golf line. Just need more of them.
Also creates some nice aftermarket parts for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
Clubsport here? Doubtful. Why? Search the R boards: Release of the 2018 Rs has been repeatedly delayed for some unknown reason(s). I think it's related to the undiagnosed misfire issue some percentage of owners have experienced. It may be a software issue, but who knows. It's my hunch that there's a DOT/EPA issue in play here. Pure speculation on my part, of course. In any case, until the issues with the R are resolved and sales commence, any discussion of a U.S. 250-280hp EA888 Clubsport is premature at best.

Which brings us the other issue raised by the OP: I.e., the potential that Golf production in Mexico will end with the 2019 model year. I doubt that too. Why? Well, initially, I strongly believe in the "two-source rule" in journalism. At this point, all we have are vague rumors, supposedly from a British source, that were initially reported by a local Mexican newspaper. We aren't talking about the New York Times, folks. Once rumored, there was ZERO confirmation of even the possibility that production in Mexico would end.

Couple of other things regarding the potential timetable involved here.

We in the U.S. typically begin to receive our versions the new models at least one year behind their release in Europe. No question about that. So, if history is a guide -- and further assuming the Mk 8 will enter production in Germany sometime in 2019 (at the earliest, btw) -- we would not begin to receive Mk8 Golfs/GTIs from Germany until 2020 at the earliest. Thus, it makes no sense whatsoever that VW would end production of the Mk7 Golf in Mexico in 2019 -- effectively essentially ending sales of Golfs, GTIs, etc. in the U.S. -- until the Mk8 were available for export to the US in 2021.

And, finally, there's the issue regarding the cost of production. The reason VW AG moved production of V-Dubs to Mexico was to save labor costs. According to the unsubstantiated rumors, it's the German labor unions that are demanding Golf production resume in Germany to support a wage increase. Why in the world would VW AG move production of the Golf back to Germany where the labor costs would double (triple? quadruple?). VOA can't sell the cars now without a $4000 in the trunk. Raising the cost of production would eliminate those discounts and absolutely crush sales.

Bottom line: Golf production and sales may end entirely in the U.S. because the cars are selling poorly, but shifting Golf production to Germany to import them here is a non-stater. It simply makes no sense.

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
Bottom line: Golf production and sales may end entirely in the U.S. because the cars are selling poorly, but shifting Golf production to Germany to import them here is a non-stater. It simply makes no sense.

You've thought thru this pretty good, and your logic seems sound. I have wondered about the Mexico issue. Yes, how will they deal with higher German labor costs? I've read the lower 2017 MK7 sales "could" be partly (I repeat: partly) due to people waiting on the 2018 refresh. There is also the backlash of sentiment from dieselgate that supposedly showed in 2017 sales. Not that I believe everything I read, but nevertheless..

If discounts on future GTIs disappear, they may still sell, if VW adds hp and features. Of course, Golf R discounts have never been much anyway, due to scarcity. (The best R discounts were to be had right after the dieselgate news hit) VW could make up some of the higher German GTI labor costs in volume, and sell to dealers at a higher price, forcing the dealers to sell at or very close to sticker price. Or, they may just keep Mexico going, like you said.

All this is somewhat aside from the Clubsport/R issue. They would obviously manufacture any "melding" of those two models, in Germany, just as they do the R. Which means, Achtung Achtung! Beware of der Sticker Shocken!!

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Bottom line: Golf production and sales may end entirely in the U.S. because the cars are selling poorly

I had no idea Golfs are not selling well. I would have never guessed that living in the bay area. The whole line (except R) is plentiful out here especially e-Golfs. At my work there are 3 CSG GTI’s in the parking lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BronxBomber

Ready to race!

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
We may not set Sales ablaze here in the USA, but Sales were actually stronger in 2017 than they were in any year since the MK7 was introduced

http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/volkswagen/volkswagen-golf/
You're correct. However, I believe the increase can be traced principally to the introduction of the Sportwagen and the huge discounts offered on the other Golf models, including the GTI. (The norm seems to be NLT $4k.) IMHO, that's not a sustainable marketing plan. Far from it. Moreover, as other manufacturers have learned -- and buyers soon discover -- systematically discounting new cars thousands of dollars (a practice pejoratively known as "money in the trunk") absolutely crushes the value of the used cars. It's a sure way to alienate your customer base in the long run.

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
We may not set Sales ablaze here in the USA, but Sales were actually stronger in 2017 than they were in any year since the MK7 was introduced

http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/volkswagen/volkswagen-golf/

I ran across another car site (they seem to number in the thousands) that said there was a 31% drop in MK7 Golf sales in 2017. In the era of "spin" and outright fake news, who knows what to believe. I propose that we all remain skeptical...not cynical, just skeptical, of all "facts" on these here internets, unless or until they can be proven. Can all "facts" be proven true or false on these here internets? No. Even if we had the time to research every damn thing we came across (which we don't), it would still be impossible.

Even if VW themselves said "2017 Golf sales were the best ever", I would remain skeptical, because I know VW wants people to think "Wow, that Golf must be a great car, people are snapping them up. Maybe I should get one, for my next car."

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
I know the year after diesel gate my Sales Person said sales in Chattanooga had been strong. The local VW plant helps but for her business had been good. I would think the added warranty will help sales also.

:D My point, exactly!

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I think VW wouldn't regret bringing some Clubsports over here. I know I would buy one and do everything in my financial power to acquire one should they.

TAKE MY MONEY!!!!

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I know the year after diesel gate my Sales Person said sales in Chattanooga had been strong. The local VW plant helps but for her business had been good. I would think the added warranty will help sales also.
What a lovely town I went there during the 2012-13 model switch and I got a tour when there was only about 10 people in the whole place. It was pretty cool, but I would've like to have seen the cars being produced...

The people in that town love the plant and mentioned multiple times that the entire area benefited heavily from it. Wasn't a speck of gum or trash on the ground anywhere. I drove my polluting TDI down there from Cleveland and still had 3/16 of a tank left! Curbed my rim in the plant parking lot, of all places...