GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Full Size Spare Setup for GTI

texan engineer

I know this isn't revolutionary, but I figured I would throw a quick write up with details on my full-size spare setup.

I have a 2017 GTI Sport (PP brakes), comes from the factory with 18" Nogaro wheels. I am personally adamant in always having a spare tire in the car - one of the reason I sold my BMW - with a strong preference for full-size spares. Though the GTI comes standard with a donut in the US, as others have noted it is feasible to install a full-size wheel/tire package under the boot. I am just consolidating all the details in one spot, with some pictures to go along.

You will need this boot trim piece, which has the relief cutout for the larger tire - 5GM86345982V
The stock piece can also be trimmed if you'd prefer to save some money, but I think the factory piece looks more "OEM" (obviously).

I have 225/40-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires all around, and happened to have an extra one with mild usage lying around to mount on a wheel. Bought a matching Nogaro take-off wheel on eBay (you can get an appropriate sized wheel for less if you'd prefer). My spare now matches my street setup, so I have no concerns about performance or appearance should the spare need to be used.

Here are some pictures comparing the factory donut and my "new" full-sized spare:

And here is the spare sitting in the boot:

It closes completely with the tire underneath. Judging from the clearance in the previous picture, I estimate there is maybe 0.25 in of clearance between the tire and the boot floor. I do not think it is riding on the tire, feels like it seats on the edge pieces like normal. If you run a different tire brand (with a different actual width) or even the same tire with wider wheels I think there is a chance you might have some light rubbing on the boot floor. Nothing show stopping but something to keep in mind.

Do note: when carrying a full size spare you lose the capability to use the magic boot floor (lowered boot floor position) and/or the ability to stow the boot cover under the floor. Personally, I only ever used the lowered floor once and only occasionally have the need to stow the boot cover. This is a tradeoff I am willing to make; if you are considering a full size spare this is something you should keep in mind. Also, those with the Fender audio system might have other clearance issues due to the sub but I can't confirm specifically.

Edit: Here are some pictures I took during my initial test fit a couple months ago. With the boot trim removed, you get a slightly better view of what (little) clearance there is.

Edit 2: Weighed the two setups. Stock space saver is about 32 lbs, my full-size spare (VW Nogaro + half-worn Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+) is about 41 lbs. Well worth the weight gain given the additional functionality.

Last edited:

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Tex,

fyi the donuts have real value to R owners. I sold one for more than I thought they were worth. it has to be local but just an idea

Mud

sloopercat

Go Kart Newbie
I am going to try the fit in my 2019 GTI. I have the sub, so curious if that will work. Appears the trim panel will fit the 2019 as well. I found that Jim Ellis VW in Atlanta has the best price, $79.80 for the panel and it looks like they are shipping no charge. Got to the payment screen and no shipping had been added, or taxes either.

texan engineer

Strange Mud, thanks for the tip. I was thinking of selling the donut myself.

sloopercat, I believe the trim piece is universal for all MK7/7.5 Golfs. I paid about that much at my local dealer as well (they would have charged shipping, but fortunately I live close enough to pick up at the counter).

texan engineer

If you guys are curious how the fit would work, jack up the car, put it on jack stands, and remove one of your regular wheels to test fit in your trunk. If you have factory size tires (like mine) and factory width wheels, it should fit. I think even the Fender sub would fit, but do double check.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
GJ, looks factory finish. Donuts/inflators are definitely a hassle when running 4 tires local tire shops do not usually keep in stock. This is a great idea for those going cross country in their Golfs.

In my case I have a stack of factory Pretoria's with tires in my garage with lugs. Since I only drive local in my Golf-R usually only on weekend mornings, if I encounter a flat I'll call my son or wife to pick one up for me from my garage. Or worst case I guess I can grab an Uber to pick it up myself.

david9962000

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Thank you for this thread,

I'm replacing my donut spare with a Tiguan Steel VW wheel. Fits under the Performance brakes.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/wheel/5qf60102703c/

With a 205/50 17 it's a great circumference match to the 225/40 18. I'm guessing the 205 width will lower the tray too.

My MK6 GTI had a 205/55 16 spare that I used once with my stock 18's on 225/40 18 without any problems.

david9962000

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
That steel wheel is available for a lot less if you search well.

And I don't want to run an aftermarket wheel because I would have to use different lugs.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Nice work. I doubt this setup works with the Fender sub but that’s what the forum is for. :cool:

texan engineer

Thank you for this thread,

I'm replacing my donut spare with a Tiguan Steel VW wheel. Fits under the Performance brakes.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/wheel/5qf60102703c/

With a 205/50 17 it's a great circumference match to the 225/40 18. I'm guessing the 205 width will lower the tray too.

My MK6 GTI had a 205/55 16 spare that I used once with my stock 18's on 225/40 18 without any problems.

No idea if the steelie would work but it won't lower the tray at all. With my stock size 225/40-18 Michelin tire, the floor sits at the normal height with about 0.25 inch of clearance beneath the floor. It can't ride any lower or flusher unless you use the magic boot floor setting, at which point you'd need the space saver tire.

Totally understand wanting a factory-type fit. I prefer avoiding centering rings and different lug bolts when possible. FYI I updated the original post some weights.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
That steel wheel is available for a lot less if you search well.

And I don't want to run an aftermarket wheel because I would have to use different lugs.
$92 at my local dealer.

I run 17x7 Q5 wheels for winter and picked up a 5th wheel for a full size spare as I don't want to carry another set of lugs, either.

vjmvjm

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S DSG PP
I just installed the trim piece, which allowed me to put an original Austin wheel / tire in the boot. (Winter tires on Austins are currently on the car.) For those wondering, installation is easy, no bolts or nuts, the trim piece just snaps into place. ECS had the part in stock, with quick, free shipping. I thought I might need to move the jack assembly to fit the wheel, but that wasn't necessary. An easy "upgrade".